1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star player arrested for public urination

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Nov 6, 2007.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This one hits on some of the topics we have debated of late.

From the Glens Falls Post-Star

FORT EDWARD -- The star running back for Fort Edward High School’s championship football team was arrested early Sunday after he was spotted urinating on the side of a street, then ran from police who tried to question him, officials said.

Anthony Breeyear, 17, of Prospect Street was charged with the misdemeanor of resisting arrest and the non-criminal violations of exposure of a person and disorderly conduct, said Fort Edward Police Sgt. Justin Derway.

He appeared to be intoxicated when police caught him after a pursuit through back yards off Canal Street, Derway said. Fort Edward Police Officer Gerry Geoghegan suffered a cut to a leg suffered when he ran into a fence when chasing Breeyear, Derway said. The injury did not require hospital treatment.

The 12:45 a.m. arrest came just hours after Breeyear scored three touchdowns as Fort Edward’s football team defeated Canajoharie for the Section II, Class D championship. Fort Edward plays Ticonderoga on Saturday in the state quarterfinals.

Here's the story and, already, some interesting comments.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/11/06/news/latest/doc472f909fb4da1788944564.txt

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I think Baylor's recruiting this guy.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nah, the Bengals are going to draft him straight out of high school.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Please, he's too small potatoes for Cincy. Now, if he peed on the cop...

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Star running back can't outrun the cops? Not good...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

N-i-c-e

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The story comments are astounding. Do the majority of people really believe the police are wasting their time cracking down on drunken teenagers who are urinating in public? And do they really believe it isn't news when said drunken teenager is the star running back? Wow.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Uncool.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That made me chuckle.

The comment I liked was: "As for his name being in the newspaper for being drunk? Better than in the obituaries."

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Well, it is Fort Edward, after all.

I thought the story was fair and restrained.

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

Not sure what to think about this.

If he was the starting left tackle -- not going to play in college -- I'd say it's not a story. These are high school kids. Put his name in the police blotter with everyone else and leave at that.

Star running back makes it more difficult. In some cases, small towns mostly, high school athletes are public figures. If this kid is being recruited, i'd say yes, it's a story. But I wouldn't feel good about it. Especially for something as petty as public urination, something every male on the face of the earth has done.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He could form a devastating 1-2 punch with Najeh Davenport. :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted