1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star-Ledger N.J.: buyout of 200 or bust

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inkfingers, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Paulie's driving again? I thought after he tore up his buddy's lawn that he was going to get a driver.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

So they're threatening to sell the paper. Who the hell would buy it, in this environment?

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Don't fret for Si Newhouse. He's got a major daily serving the richest suburbs in the western hemisphere. It would sell in a matter of days.

(Disclaimer: The S-L wouldn't be the first NYC metro paper to be shut down by intransigent union leadership.)

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This would be awful if it comes to this. The Star-Ledger hasn't been a model product, but it covers a wide territory and has always done so quite well.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Drivers don't care who owns the paper. As long as someone is printing one, they'll be driving. Why re-negotiate downward?

Strikes me as infantile to threaten to shut down the place. If the operation is making even modest profits, can't see ownership just pulling plug -- and drivers have to know that.

Then again, I can't imagine anyone in his right mind buying a major newspaper unless he has ability to just write a check for the total.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Why negotiate downward? Because the alternative is having no paycheck at all. What part of the question is too difficult to comprehend?

7. Joe Williams

Agreed. I wasn't backing that position, I was just working it through from their point of view. Drivers probably are a lot less spooked about the state of the news business than journalists, rightly or wrongly. They have decades of muscle, relatively speaking, compared to writers and editors and their "negotiating" power.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Newhouse strong-armed the drivers once -- about 15 years ago, I believe -- by threatening to bring in drivers from New Orleans and other places to take their jobs if they didn't make a deal.
    As I recall, the scab drivers and a secutiry force, were sitting in hotel rooms in Newark on a Saturday with the union contract about to expire at midnight Sunday. The drivers settled very quickly.

This is just another strong-arm ploy. There is no way the Newhouses are folding or selling their flagship newspaper...NO F-ING WAY!

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Back then, were the drivers able to settle quickly and have a ratification vote before the deadline?

A part of me wants to think that its a negotiating ploy, but the part of the memo that says they're sending the notices as required by law has me second-guessing that theory. The unions know labor laws and would call the Newhouses on the bluff if they were sending the notices much earlier than the law requires.

Here's to hoping they reach a last minute settlement.

10. Joe Williams

And the drivers know it. So it might be another episode of "Unleash the scabs!"

How do the union folks here on this board feel about that? Would you honor the drivers' picket line and hate the scabs? Or would you just be glad to still be working? I'm just asking.

11. using "scab" labor in jersey is not the smartest move.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It won't be a case of bringing in scabs.
    I think it will be a case of the Newhouses following through on their threats.

Draft saved Draft deleted