1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Ledger laying off 40 from newsroom - 170 overall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 3, 2014.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Luicci lands at Rutgers:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20140410/NJSPORTS0210/304100051

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think most of us have to be numb to it at this point.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

To those in Jersey, good thoughts to you and best wishes.

There is also Portland, Cleveland and three papers in Alabama that have seen the Turk ride through with his napalm and axes. Anyone in the Advance chain who hasn't seen this coming or doesn't believe it will happen is dreaming. This isn't just about the economy, either.

I don't believe this occurred at other Advance shops where this purge has taken place. Could be wrong.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's crazy how low severance packages have gotten. 4.5 weeks is obscene and I know places where 10-year employees have gotten two weeks.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Advance makes a lot of it dependent on whether you're willing to stay on board to the day of the changeover. At least, they did here.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's 1.5 weeks pay for every year you've been there. In my case, it's only the three years I've been back part-time they're counting. Had they counted the 19 years I was there before taking a buyout, it would have been more.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

What happened to go out and gain some experience and then we'll take a look at what you can do?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, finally found a newspaper job with a previous employer today. Bigger paper, more money, but the past nine months have been hell. This is the only kind of work I've ever wanted to do, and now at least I'm back in the game. Very grateful.

YankeeFan, JRoyal, Rosie and 5 others like this.
  9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great news Frank ! Congrats.

Frank_Ridgeway likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Congrats and good luck.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Congratulations Frank! Don't be a stranger. Glad you're back in the game, even if it is the bottom of the eighth inning, two out and we're down by six runs! ;)

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Remember, Frank: You can cost kids scholarships in features, too. Go get 'em!

Draft saved Draft deleted