1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My playoff picks, and do with them what you will:

EAST

Ottawa vs. Tampa Bay: One vs. eight. This series draws parallels with the Rangers-Quebec Nordiques (now Colorado Avalanche) first round series in 1994-95. The Lightning are the Rangers, the defending Stanley Cup Champion who struggled to defend its championship. The Senators are the Nordiques, a fabulously talented team that had subtle flaws; Quebec backed down if they were literally, physically, metaphorically or metaphysically punched in the mouth. I believe Ottawa is the same way. Tampa Bay wins in six games.

Carolina vs. Montreal: "To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high." According to sources in Montreal, the Canadiens have edited that statement. It now reads: "To you from failing hands we want you to put the bloody puck in the net; c'mon, we're the Habs!" Carolina has too much scoring. The Hurricanes in five.

New Jersey vs. New York Rangers: This will be a nasty, nasty series, that should draw viewers in the New York Metropolitan Tri-State area. It would have been Gary Bettman's wet dream, had it been for Eastern Conference Finals. Jersey is hot as can be, winning its last 11 games. The Rangers have scuffled, losing five of its last six. Jersey has the X factor in Martin Brodeur. There is no better, no more experienced playoff netminder than Brodeur. It's been a great season on Broadway, with the promise of more, but the Devils win in five.

Buffalo vs. Philadelphia: The Flyers named Robert Esche as their playoff starter, despite not being a playoff goalie. Swarovski crystal is not as fragile as Peter Forsberg's groin. And Donald Brashear is due to commit stupid penalties. Buffalo in five.

WEST

Detroit vs. Edmonton: Edmonton is the sexy pick to beat the Wings. Detroit romped through the worst division in hockey, while the Oilers figuratively and literally waged war in the Pacific Division. That said, does the sport's last great dynasty have an answer for Nicklas Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Brendan Shanahan? I don't think so. Detroit in six games.

Dallas vs. Colorado: The end of the Avs. Dallas in four games.

Calgary vs. Anaheim: This will be the nastiest series of the first round, and maybe, of the entire playoffs. These two teams took turns beating on each other Monday night. The hate will carry over, leading to a wonderfully nasty series. Calgary in six games.

Nashville vs. San Jose: The Predators lost netminder Tomas Vokoun prior to the playoffs. San Jose has played up-tempo hockey since robbing Boston of Joe Thornton. Jonathan Cheechoo became the league's leading goal scorer once paired with Thornton. The Sharks are going to the Cup Finals. San Jose in five games.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ottawa in 7. Sens survive in what should be a hogh scoring, entertaining series.
    Carolina in 5. Habs continue end of season free fall.
    New Jersey in 6. Games should be close enough for Rangers to steal a couple, but Brodeur and the hot team move on.
    Buffalo in 5. Appears to be a mismatch to me. Could see the Flyers get blown out a lot in this series

Detroit in 4. Wings: "Next."
    Dallas in 7. Colorado keeps it closer than most think, but gets blown out in game 7.
    Anaheim in 7. Ducks ride late season surge to upset.
    San Jose in 6. Two teams entering playoffs in different directions continue their same paths.

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

Senators in 6 - Should be close, but the Senators have Alfredsson and Heatley.
    Carolina in 5 - Too much offense for the Hurricanes
    Devils in 7 - Ranger fans can hope to get it this far but the Devils are just too hot right now
    Buffalo in 6 - The Flyers can't beat the Sabres in the regular season, can't see that changing here

Detroit in 5 - Maybe the Oilers get a game
    Dallas in 6 - I don't like the AVS but they can still get two
    Flames in 7 - If you like chippiness watch this entire series and see the Flames win Game 7
    Sharks in 6 - If Nashville had Vokoun, I'd be more inclined to lean in their favor. But maybe not considering the way Cheechoo and Thornton played down the stretch.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I believe spnited, Crassy and Buck will enjoy this: [​IMG]

Tonight's NHL on OLN games:

7:00pm DETROIT RED WINGS VS EDMONTON OILERS
    9:30pm NHL ON OLN POST GAME SHOW
    10:00pm CALGARY FLAMES VS ANAHEIM MIGHTY DUCKS

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The one that says "Devils ... 2006 Stanley Cup Champions" will be even nicer.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT. ;D

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Not to mention rarer.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That may be, but I'm not convinced that Jersey can beat Carolina or Buffalo in the East. Out West, San Jose, Detroit and Dallas are better than the Devils, and Calgary is the Devils' equal.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A Dallas/Buffalo final would be fabulous.

I'm gonna sell "Still No Goal" T-shirts the minute it starts.

10. bmf

bmf Guest

The Red Wings scare the crap out of me. I know they have won the last two Stanley Cups that have been in the same year as the Olympics ('98 and '02), but Game 1 is always a crap shoot with these guys.

11. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

no datysuk for the wings tonight. no moreau for the oilers -- thats a huge loss for them.

12. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Not one person shot for the Preds. I believe number two can get it done. However, it all depends on solid D and lots of scoring. Preds in 7.
    Dallas will be a close one. But remember, they have Sakic and friends. So, don't count them out just yet. Dallas in 6.
    Wings and Oilers will also be a close one. Is it just me or do they Oilers try their hardest and still fail? Or is just because Smyth pays them so he can compete for Team Canada? Wings in 6.
    Flames have experience and the coaching. But will they be able to stop Teemu? Flames in 6.

If Emery pops out of no where, Sens in 5. If the Lightning finally get their goalies (notice the "s"), then Bolts in 7Upset.
    I think Huet and/or Ab will choke. Unless, Kovalev, Zednick and Bonk play like the use to. But it should be Canes in 5.
    If they can hold back Jagr, Devils in 4. They have been on a roll, so why stop now?
    Sabers in 6. Just hurry up and bring back the old jerseys already.

Draft saved Draft deleted