1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Hey, why is the awards show being held in Vancouver? I thought that was a Toronto-only thing.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Edmonton already has him signed for another 4 years at a bargain basement $6.25 million.
    This is what douchenozzle Strachan was saying in his column today about players who are on the market, regarding Pronger in particularly going to FLA:

Once again, this is a player Keenan acquired in the past. Apparently, Pronger feels that he has served his sentence in Edmonton and shouldbe releasedfor good – in fact excellent – behaviour. But he has a monster contract with four more years at $6.25 million and the Panthers owner Alan Cohen is not known as one of the league's free spenders. Still if the Panthers keep Luongo, they'll be in the same salary range.

THe only player I could see coming back in any deal regarding Pronger that would be acceptable would be Luongo, but if the Oil can sign Roli, goaltending will not be an issue for this club or in the future with the guys they have coming up in the system, so that deal really doesn't make sense for the Oilers either, especially considering they would be giving up a top one or two defenceman in the league for a goalie who has never been to the playoffs.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because the entry draft is in Vancouver on Saturday.

And Toronto likes to share. )

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

And now we know why he needs propecia...of course, having an affair while you child is in intensive care reveals plenty about character

MONTREAL (CP) -- Jose Theodore's girlfriend has apparently kicked him out after learning about a weekend fling with Paris Hilton.

The TQS French-language television network says that Stephanie Cloutier ended their eight-year relationship and kicked Colorado Avalanche goalie out of their Montreal home after learning about the affair.

Today's Le Journal de Montreal says the former Habs goalie and Cloutier picked up their daughter from hospital a day after the Toronto weekend.

The three-month-old girl had been in a children's hospital since being born prematurely.

The young family was supposed to spend the summer together in Denver.

Theodore has purchased a home there after being traded to the Avalanche.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And of course Doc's post is useless without pictures. :)

[​IMG]

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The day before game one of the Stanley Cup Final, someone asked Pronger about the deal McCabe just got. Pronger just flashed that too smug for my own damn good smile of his and said "We'll see what happens."
    I took out of it that the boy wants a new deal that will pay him significantly more than McCabe. Will that happen in Edmonton?

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

he definitely deserves more than McCabe, but he had to know this was a risk of signing a 5 yr deal. No GM in his right mind would renegtiate a five yr contract after just one season. It sets a horrible precident for the rest of the team. What TO was doing giving that kind of money to McCabe anyways, I have no idea. They shot thmselves and everyone else in the foot in the Chara/Redden sweepstakes and in any other deal for top end defencemen.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

You're right in that it does set a horrible precident. But guys have been trying it in the States for a few years now, in other sports, and doing it. Pronger is no dumb Canuck ready to blindly go along with the "we are team" philosophy.
    If he stays in Edmonton, it's because he got a new deal. If he doesn't, he gets a new deal somewhere else.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well it didn't work out so well for TO if that's who you are reffering to who ended up being run out of Philly and was oestricized by much of the NFL - he became a pirriah and ended up missing most of a season

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I think you are all missing one important pt ... If Edmonton holds on to Pronger he becomes a UFA (Unmarried Free Agent). His wife has moved back to St L, she hated the yr in Edmonton. They can give him a new deal -- or they can sign it directly over to his divorce lawyer.

Strachan has it right and because he has it right those of you dialled in know the source.

YHS, etc

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I had not heard that, but Pronger also has not mentoned any problems with the city or any desire to go elsewhere. He was a guy who was impressed from day one with the organization from the public rally for the introduction of Pronger and Peca to Edmonton and he obviously had a terrific season on ice. Now why did his wife hate the yr in Edmonton? is it because it wasn't St. l and being forced to move away from friends/family? well I can tell you he won't be goign back to St. louis.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr O3,

Once again you go racing off ... I said that I heard from a GM that he wouldn't be back in Edmonton ... that's not quite the same as he'll be back in St Louis. Parse my post (no, I'm not telling you to commit an indecency).

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted