1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

But just because people riot doesn't mean they're fans. They could just be idiots.

From what I've been told, Carolina does have a strong and vocal fan base. It's a shame not everyone in the city is a die-hard hockey fan and maybe that'll eventually change, but at least it's the core group celebrating, not hangers-on who have no idea what it means.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Home of the Thoroughblades. :)

Well, former home, anyway. But it's not like they're in Cleveland anymore, either.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Strachan was talking about that in his column today, that they'd have to cut him loose because they need to clear salary cap space. Sorry I don't believe it at all. You can't get even value for Pronger, especially for the deal he has. Pronger was Edmonton's MVP this year by far. He's not going anywhere. Yeah they have guys they need to sign, but so does every team, but they can also let a few of those guys go and not bat an eye, plus the salary cap is going up and the Oilers weren't anywhere near the old cap. With playoff revenue their budget is also going to go up. I have no idea where this rumour is coming from. Kevin Lowe promised that he never would again be forced to trade away a key piece of the puzzle, and Pronger would qualify for that.

4. Garner

Garner Member

Agree 100% with Beef. Pronger is arguably the best value in the NHL and there's no way the Oilers would deal him. He turned Craig Simpson's power play into a threat (aside from games 2-4 against Carolina), and his plus-minus was outstanding in the playoffs. I'm convinced he may be a mutant superhero. They only way Lowe would ever pull that trade would be if he could receive Luongo straight up, but even then it would be an incredibly stupid move. Hurry up and pull the trigger on that bet, it'll be the easiest grand you ever made.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Depends.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My only thought is JF Jr. is trying to create a market or situation for Pronger to leave Edmonton, stiring the old can o' shit. If it is the Maple Leafs, they have absolutely no one who could come back in a package where it would be close to equal compensation. Again, not going to happen, if it did K-Lowe would be run out of town on a rail, and he is one of Edmonton's Favourite sons right now.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JF Jr is too dumb to pull that off. Hell, Pronger can actually play so the Leafs will never sign him.

On the other hand, if the Muppet managed to nab him, the Leafs 40 year drought would be over. :)

You know what? After such a great season I hope Edmonton re-signs the guy.

He's the original effin stud. What a player.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with my man.  I looooves Chris Pronger.

And damn, he'd look good in Maple Leafs Blue.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

He'd like great until he suffers some freak accident in mid-November that ends his career. I'm picturing an incident involving the Zamboni........

sorry boys, but thats Maple Leaf luck lately.

And happy 40th! ;)

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We neeeed Pronger.  Edmonton can have Tie Domi, a skate sharpening machine, a bag of pucks, Wade Belak, Nik Antropov and a six-pack of Lucky.  :D

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Quick Pronger story.

About 3-4 years ago or so, Wings and Blues met again in the playoffs. It was a mid round game (3, 4, 5) and Yzerman wasn't 100 percent.

Yzerman has the puck along the glass, but makes the pass. Pronger sees the chance for a hit. Yzerman ducks out of the way and Pronger hits the glass flush and goes down in a heap. He either hurt his shoulder or knee (don't remember), but he was out the rest of the series and the Blues were eliminated.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pronger also had that weird thing where he took a shot off his chest and collapsed. If I remember correctly, his heart actually stopped.

Still, since most of the Leafs don't have any heart, we'll take him.

BTW, is there any chance Cementhead Domi could be considered a national security risk and CSIS could ship him off to one of Fredo's secret torture chambers?. Leafs are gonna need some cap room.

Draft saved Draft deleted