1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 play

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Final ratings on NBC: 1.6 with a 3 share. The clincher drew a robust 1.8/3.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

This was a unique year because you had a Canadian team not even a major market playing a team which really is pretty much not even an LA team but an Orange County team. However, except for Buffalo on that list, all the cities are major cities. The fact that nobody from Detroit or New York covered it says more about those papers than the NHL. Chicago interest is probably down because the Black Hawks have been so poor, but these are major cities, not a couple of cities where hockey is.

Maybe it's just NASCAR and SEC football where you are. I understand what you are saying, but the point I'm making is that there is a bigger world.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The vast majority of television viewers say otherwise.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A couple of posters questioned me for saying that it's sad that, in the market of the team that wins the Stanley Cup, Bob Barker gets better play on A1 than the Ducks. A lot of that comes from me being a hockey fan. But, my god, a team wins a Stanley Cup in their back yard, I would hope it would be a huge story.

I understand that the TV ratings stink. I think that's sad as well.

Barker may be the right call, but I don't have to like it.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Unless Jesus comes back to play goal for the Rangers, ratings in the United States will never be other than pathetic.

Fact is though, the 6 Canadian teams contribute approximately 40% of the league non-ticket sales revenues

So, if I'm Gary the Weasel, where should I be focusing my efforts on growing the game?

The Stanley Cup is the most famous and most iconic trophy in all of professional sports.

Build on that.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Bettman has been a disaster for the NHL. The effort to expand to the Sunbelt has been misguided. Yes, there should be an NHL team in Atlanta because it is a major city. There was no effort during Bettman's tenure to try to get Canadian teams on a more even footing. The television contract has been a disaster, getting a cable network called Outdoor Life. I mean, getting on ESPN 2 was better than that.

And yet, with all of that, the teams generally draw over 15,000 people at least 40 times a year in 30 different cities. That's why it is the fourth major sport. And I suppose my ultimate proof that hockey is a great sport is that it manages to survive bad commissioners.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Well, to try to get inside Gary the Weasel's mind, I'm sure it's thinking ...

"Alabama, Mississippi and Oklahoma don't have any major-league sports teams yet. We need to expand there first and grow the game."

Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford ... all on his watch.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The saving grace for Canadian based teams right now is the loonie. It's around 95 cents to the Usd and is getting stronger.

Canadian teams were screwed when the Canadian dollar was 65 cents because the revenues were in our currency but the payables were all in US bucks.

Gold is right about one thing. The league survives despite itself.

The NHL has been around as long as MLB (or about the same length of time).

It's the cockroach of professional sports.

9. accguy

accguy Member

EE,
    Here's my question for you (fyi, we took wire for the sports cover), you talk about putting a brother handing off the cup to a brother on A1. Are you really going to rip your A1 cover for that on deadline. This was also an event you didn't know for sure would happen. It's not like a Game 7 or some sort of playoff when you knew you would have a final conclusion.

This was very much a deadline event that you didn't know for sure would occur. I would guess mamny papers had already pushed one edition before the game was over or shortly thereafter. That's tough planning right there.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The people who work at particular papers know what is best for their paper. I don't think others should rip them for not including something based on our perceived interest. We went through this on Buerhle's no-hitter with some guys saying your paper is shit if you didn't have it on the cover.
    Also, Bob Barker is a huge story here, but just because it got big play doesn't mean the Ducks didn't also get big play. The Times had the Ducks on A1 with a photo and column. The Register wrapped the whole paper with a special section. I wouldn't expect papers in Phoenix or St. Louis or Mississippi or Alabama to do so.

Draft saved Draft deleted