1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 play

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

No one is watching. Hardly any papers outside of Southern Cal are staffing. How are you playing the Ducks clinching? And for the hell of it, headlines, too.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Page 2.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Inside with refer on front.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's a front page story on any sports section in SoCal -- and at worst, an A1 tease or photo at least to tease to the inside. In Canada, it's the ONLY story in the papers there.

It should be a front-page story on everyone's sports section, but yeah, I know. It's hockey and it'll be treated like a black sheep of the sports world. :mad:

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bullsh*t. I mean, God bless the NHL and all ... but the vast majority of folks don't give a damn.

In lots of places, people VIOLENTLY don't give a damn.

This mess couldn't draw 800K households on NBC.

It hasn't been the Fourth Pro Sport for a while now. That's NASCAR. Or maybe the NBA, with NASCAR third.

It might not even be fifth (UFC? Golf?), or sixth (Grand Slam tennis?).

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Bullshit you, Henry,
    It's a 90-year-old league, with franchises across North America, the first West Coast team to ever win the Cup, the first in California. Some great stories - including two brothers, one on his way to the Hall of Fame, winning the Cup.
    It's Wednesday night. You tell me what's leading off your section. Game story 46 of the local ball team?
    If so, your section has no imagination and is unwilling to do something different. Like your local populace will revolt if hockey leads off?

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Our page 2 centerpiece.

Around here, folks cared last season when the Hurricanes won the whole thing, but now, well, southern bandwagon fans at their finest. They haven't given a darn since the team was eliminated during the regular season's final games. As for headlines:

FLYING Victory
    Mighty or not, Ducks are Stanley Cup champs

8. Didn't work tonight, but it better have been on our front page.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It barely made our deadline and then it was a brief. My heart didn't like it, but my head told me absolutely no one in my area gives a shit, so I didn't protest.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Got to say I found the NCAA softball more riveting. Headline: Stanley Cup: I'm going to Disneyland.

11. Stanley Cup headline: Suck it, Canada!

12. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Actually, it's the fourth West Coast team to win the Cup. Remember, the Cup is older than the NHL: Victoria 1925, Seattle 1917, Vancouver 1915.

It is the first NHL West Coast team to win. To its credit, AP got it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted