1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanley Cup Final(s): Ottawa-Anaheim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, May 28, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's what I thought at first, but the replay showed that Sean O'Donnell somehow managed to deflect it away.

And Alfredsson could easily have knocked him off the puck, yet let him blow right past. Maybe he thought Pahlsson was Jason Pominville or something. Fucking floater. He and his linemates should be on the pine, for all the good they're doing:

"Hey, I know, guys! Instead of dumping the puck in and going after it, let's just shoot it right at the Anaheim players! That way, we can just turn around and head back to our own end. I'd hate for us to chip a fingernail by, I don't know, forechecking or something."

And they're even worse defensively. Not hard to tell these are three guys who likely have to be introduced to Ray Emery in the dressing room before each game, and that's as close to him as they'll get for the next 60 minutes.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

After watching the CBC postgame wrap up online, Elliotte asked Greg Millen whether Pahlsson should be Conn Smythe winner for the playoffs and while Millen agreed, the voice of reason, Kelly Hrudey says it should be Giguere because Anaheim wouldn't have gotten past the series versus the Red Wings without him.

What do you all think? Who is your early pick to win Conn Smythe? Obviously, I am going with Giguere. The Ducks and Sens have had tight games and while Pahlsson has been sound defensively, Giguere is still standing on his head stopping pucks.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Giguere's my choice for the Conn, although I wouldn't have dreamed after watching the Ducks this entire season that Scotty Niedermayer's name wouldn't at least be in the discussion. But it's not, not in these playoffs.

Pahlsson or Pronger are up there, and Getzlaf deserves a mention, but no one's even close to Jiggy right now.

It's been nice for him, because once the Ducks lock in, he doesn't have to see a whole lot of shots. But often, he's had to stand on his head for one period or so, and if he can withstand that, there's not a lot of pressure afterward.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Thanks, Double. I was wondering how he missed that.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Ducks, Steve Simmons had a nice piece in today's Sun on Burke.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/06/01/4225194-sun.html

When he took over as general manager just days before the lockout ended, he knew he had to do more than renovate his team. He had to blow it up.

He liked J.S. Giguere in goal, Rob Niedermayer and Andy McDonald up front and Sami Pahlsson, even if he was a Swede. "He plays like he's from Sudbury," Burke said.

He didn't care for much else. And while he may not say it for attribution, he hated his defence. Not one of the six regulars was a Canadian. Burke may be an American by birth but his hockey mentality is pure north of the border. He wants his teams to outwork their opposition. In his dictionary, the word chase follows the word dump. He would rather finish a check than sign a Czech.

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Snoop and the clan sporting the George Parros 'staches.

[​IMG]

(That kid's gold chain is thicker than his arm.)

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Never knew this but Parros, like Burke, is a Harvard grad.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Princeton, I think.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

MVP should be Getzlaf, Pahlsson or, if Ottawa makes this a series, Emery.

Without Emery the Sens would be getting beat by a lot and he's beaten the Pens, Devils and Sabres.

Giguere is another possible MVP, but I think he'd fall into the same category as Brodeur with the Devils' Cup winners -- he had a lot of solid defense played in front of him. That said, the top three defenders have not stood out enough individually to claim the MVP IMO, they're more of a unit. Perhaps a co-MVP situation?

10. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Parros is a native of Washington, Pa. as well.

(It's my little fact I'm proud of. Shut up.)

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're right. I knew it was Princeton but I spelled it wrong. :)

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Possibly overlooked in all this.

Ottawa captain touched the PoW trophy and isn't growing a playoff beard (at least I don't think he is).

How can the Senators have a shot?

Draft saved Draft deleted