1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stange Sporting Event Question. Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I'm getting old. And, I'm sentimental, too.

I like to receive "tickets in hand" or "hard copy" tickets when I attend MLB games. I don't want anything to do with "e-tickets."

I'm looking at some tickets to a game right now on eBay (because Stub Hub only deals with e-tickets now). And the guy responds he can either email me tickets or send hard copies. How is this possible? If you have access to both, wouldn't you - or couldn't you - sell both sets? And someone gets screwed?

I hate technology!

And, you damn kids stay off my lawn!

2. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

The guy's probably not going to take that chance when he's so easily traceable through eBay. I just sold season tickets and always offered both options because some people are more comfortable with one or the other.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Huh. I had no idea you could do either or. Thanks.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pete,

You will be fine. I've done etickets many times. The bar codes always scan. Nobody is ever in my seat.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Son of a bitch. I bought my tickets off eBay. They are e-tickets. I usually ask before purchase, but totally forgot in this instance.

So I ask, what's to stop the seller from printing off 100 copies and selling 100 copies of the same ticket?

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Pete - StubHub seems to have hard copies still available, at least for me.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

How is the seller's feedback? The answer is, there's really nothing from stopping him from doing it, but if it's a seller with good feedback that sort of thing would kill him on eBay. (Plus it's illegal, so if he's traceable it's going to catch up with him.)

A buddy of mine sells e-tickets on Craig's List all the time. He's a TV reporter, so people figure he won't be hard to track down if he's ripping them off.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

And I thought this was about the annual Cheese Rolling festival that isn't going on any longer...

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'm not sure if your tickets work the same way, but a friend of mine has season tickets to an NFL team. He has actual tickets, but can send them via e-mail to people via Ticketmaster. Once you get the e-mail you click a link and print out tickets; apparently once you do this the hard tickets are no longer valid and more than one person can't have access to the electronic tickets.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Perfect feedback. All sports cards, mainly.

The person is in the same city (actually 20 minutes away from the guy I'm going with) as the game we're going to.

I have the sellers email address, residential address, eBay ID. Plus, I assume eBay and PayPal protect me since I was buying actual tickets to the game and counterfeit ones, if that happens to ultimately be the case when the usher says "no entry."

I'm guessing it's someone looking to make a couple bucks on Opening Day.

Still, it's an uneasy feeling for a guy who has never used them before. I'm the ultimate skeptical cynic.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Perfect feedback and you know where he lives? You'll be fine.

I love e-tickets. I went to a ballgame with a friend of mine yesterday. We live about 40 miles apart and the stadium is between us. I bought the tickets, emailed his, and we met at the seats.

Draft saved Draft deleted