1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanford or App. State? Which upset is bigger?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by London Calling, Oct 7, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jeez, that guy was really over-the-top. Yeah, he apparently thinks it's monumental. Good find.

Obviously, Joe, no one was discussing the point spread before the game. It there was a "Dumb spreads" thread last Friday, I'm guessing "USC -41" would have been mentioned more than once.

2. One could argue that you wouldn't have had the Stanford upset without the App. State upset. App. State convinced every David everywhere that they could beat Goliath at his own house.

For that App. State gets the nod.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So if App State never won that game, would Stanford get credit for every upset that followed the USC victory this season?

While I agree most every coach who's a heavy underdog wrote "App State" on locker room boards during the weeks that followed the Michigan upset, I'm not so sure we must credit App State for what Stanford did this past week. The credit ought to go to Stanford for that much.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the replay. What surprised me is that Stanford didn't play like a scrub team. They played with confidence and certainty. I'm sure Oregon State wouldn't mind having Stanford's backup qb. And again USC made a lot of mistakes, but never seemed to be worried about the outcome until it was too late. If Booty just throws an incomplete pass, or falls short of the first down marker on their second to last drive and then they punt, the Trojans likely win. USC is a top 5 team with their talent, but lacks the passion and the polish to make it to the top this year. If they beat Arizona by less than 40 this week I think their season may be over. BTW - I bet Kansas +45 against Nebraska a few years back in the Solich era, and lost.

5. They don't get credit for the win, but they did it first - with fewer scholarship players on an uneven playing field. This isn't even an argument.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yet another reason I love college football: the many varieties of offense. Michigan is in the top 10 of non-spread teams.
    Could you imagine if there was as much variety in the NFL as there is in college? In the NFL variety is running a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

FWIW, Stanford ranked 83rd in last week's Sagarin power rankings, 11 spots lower than App State and eight higher than Duke.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Interesting. And that's after a road win against the #2 team in the country. I think most of the people who call it just another conference upset don't realize how god-awful Stanford has been the last couple of years.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And Duke was probably a better team than Stanford (they've been competitive against UConn, Virginia and Wake Forest this season).

Draft saved Draft deleted