1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Standup comics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Feb 23, 2007.

?

Who do you think is the best stand-up guy out there?

1. Lewis Black

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. The Blue Collar guys

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Dave Chappelle

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. Bobby Collins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dane Cook

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Jim Gaffigan

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Denis Leary

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Otto & George

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bob Saget

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. None of the above, and you still don't know shit, PhilaYank

36 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. Here's Gaffigan talking about Christmas

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

One of my favorite bits of all time ... Sam Kinison on how to solve world hunger (language alert) ...

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I've checked out Izzard, shot, and I just don't get him. Don't get Dane Cook, either.

I like Ron White and will cop to enjoying Jeff Foxworth, but I wish Larry the Cable Guy would lose his tongue.

Somebody mentioned this on another thread: Chapelle is a great sketch comedy guy, but his standup act really isn't that strong. Lewis Black is much better at it to me.

I guess my favorite contemporary standup would be Chris Rock, though his recent stuff hasn't been as strong. Does he count? Don't see him much out there anymore.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jim Norton is one of my favorites...

As far as Carlin is concerned, the guy is almost 70... I'll cut him some slack...

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Just picked up the new Patton Oswalt CD yesterday. After listening to it...why he isn't on the poll list is beyond me. He's hysterical.

Others, and I may have done this list a few weeks ago: Bill Hicks, Lewis Black, Carlin, Dave Attell, Brian Posehn, Zach Galifianakis, Demetri Martin, Sam Kinison, Andrew Dice Clay, Mitch Hedberg, John Pinette (who has made 'nay nay' a regular term in my personal lexicon), Jim Norton, Sarah Silverman.

Add me to the list of "Yeah, pretty much done with Dane Cook."

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Leary lords over all.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The next time I laugh at Denis Leary may be the first time...

8. Mmac

Mmac Guest

How can you possibly leave Chris Rock off that list? That's a completely absurd omission. Rock would get my vote.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Three (who haven't been mentioned yet), who always have me cracking up (and have other motorists looking at me like I'm crazy) when they're on XM Comedy:

Bob Marley, Kathleen Madigan, Nick DiPaolo.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Madigan's awesome. I have her name saved on my Tivo so if she ever appears anywhere, I'll get it.

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Seconding Izzard and Oswalt, and I just listened to the first few tracks from Greg Giraldo's CD, and holy CRAP was that funny.

12. Boognish

Boognish Member

Nothing wrong with a little David Cross either. Still a huge fan of HBO's Mr. Show with Bob (Odenkirk) and David. And his stand up is still as sharp as ever. See "Shut Up, You F#*king Baby."

Also, for a great read, check out David's open letter to Larry the Cable Guy (http://www.bobanddavid.com/david.asp?artID=183), which he wrote in response to Cable Guy slamming him and what Cable Guy considers "liberal comedy" in his autobiography "Get-R-Done." Epic.

Draft saved Draft deleted