1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Standup comics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Feb 23, 2007.

?

Who do you think is the best stand-up guy out there?

1. Lewis Black

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. The Blue Collar guys

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Dave Chappelle

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. Bobby Collins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dane Cook

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Jim Gaffigan

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Denis Leary

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Otto & George

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bob Saget

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. None of the above, and you still don't know shit, PhilaYank

36 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's funny cause it's true.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Aren't many standup guys whose CD I would buy but Robert Schimmel's stuff was so effing good I own three of his CDs. He's touring again now that he's defeated non-Hodgkins lymphoma. His special on HBO in the late 1990s was one of the funniest hours ever.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I got my first taste of the Tater through the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. I agree he's better on his own, but he's not much different when he's on tour with Larry, Bill and Jeff.

In his prime, Denis Leary was hilarious. No Cure for Cancer may be one of the greatest comedy CDs of all time.

4. I love standups, but haven't gotten a chance to see a lot of the newer guys (old school, I own a lot of Newhart, Pryor and Carlin) because having kids means having the TV on Sponge Bob 24/7 these days. Recently caught Comedy Central late on a Friday night and thought Gaffigan and Jon Reep (Bless his heart) were hilarious.

Reep does his own unique version of Southern comedy and Gaffigan's stuff reminded me of Seinfeld. I bought Reep's CD and he sent a note with it saying to distribute it freely. He seems like a good guy. If anyone wants a copy, let me know.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

RIP Mitch Hedburg. :'(

I like the Bue Collar guys, but Foxworthy has also verified that I'm a redneck more than a few times.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Beer flavored beer is my all-time favorite bit.
    Who the fuck is Pete? Fuck Pete!

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

From the current crop of stand-ups? This thread begins and ends with Chris Rock.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jim Gaffigan is fucking hilarious...

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Leary reigns supreme in my book.

Gabriel Iglesias is gonna be in my town in a week or so.......may go see him.....

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

HAAAAAAWWWWWT PAAAAAAWWWWWCKITS </falsetto>

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In no particular order... Todd Barry, Ron White, Mitch Hedburg (RIP), Lewis Black, Stephen Lynch, and that's just off the top of my head... thanks XM Comedy.

Two who should develop severe larengytis (sp) every time they're on stage: Dane Cook and George Lopez. Especially Lopez. How the hell is this guy successful.. he talks in that dumb spanish grandma voice for two hours saying "meta" and "caveron" or whatever... nothing makes me switch the station faster.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Craig Shoemaker is hysterical. Had me crying when I saw him.

http://www.craigshoemaker.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted