1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Standardized Testing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

But we went over 100 years with the old system. It wasn’t until this new variable came in that the huge push to start early happened.

Hey, I’m for year round schools.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

The old system was mostly based on farming. It was antiquated long ago.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent.

I also think these AP tests and IB programs are feeding many of the real problems of education.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sorry. Misread.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm fine with starting year round school in 13 years.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree with the AP stuff being a problem. If anything, they are watered down now because there are so many of them available. A 4.2 grade point average these days is worth what a 3.2 was 20 or 30 years ago. But I still don’t think you understand what an IB program is. IB programs are only even available at a small fraction of the schools. So I’m not exactly sure how they could be a big problem.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think we all know how many years before your retire now. :)

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s a carrot put in front of families that race to the best college all the while the kids are working more than lawyers about to present to the Supreme Court.

We are grinding our kids to death chasing the chance to pay six figure tuition costs.

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

No, it’s a way for students, particularly in larger city districts, to get in a better, more competitive educational environment than they would find at their local school. It’s for high achievers, and people who will do well in college.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article200601509.html

There are tons of these stories out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted