1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stan Fischler is looking for an intern

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JR, Feb 13, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Twitter. If you want to cover hockey, this wouldn't be a bad place to start but I suspect Stan is one grumpy mother.

Stan Fischler @StanFischler Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Wanted: Intern for Stan Fischler; super oppty. Big perks. Car a must. Resumes to FISCHLERINTERNS@GMAIL.COM

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's 79. He's also an icon. He's the only writer to be awarded a Lester Patrick Trophy as a contributor to ice hockey. His great piece on Eddie Shore in Best American Sports Writing of the Century: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1075630/index.htm

3. pickensp

pickensp New Member

I've had the pleasure of getting to know Stan and witness his persona firsthand. He's tough on interns, but will also make you better, also is a very generous guy with time and connections. Jesse Spector got his start as one of The Maven's interns, so it's a good launching point.

4. maberger

maberger Member

This is how I started my career 30 years ago - and many EXTREMELY well-placed sports people worked for him too.

Obviously things/time has changed, but for a mature, responsible, dedicated individual he may still provide an excellent starting point. Many, including me, owe their careers to him.

And an aside, he deserves to be in the HHOF.

5. Brady Hoke

Brady Hoke New Member

Anyone know if this is for the summer, or right now?

6. aholla3

aholla3 New Member

I sent them an email. Not sure what exactly he is looking for, but I have a year of experience covering college hockey, so we'll see.

7. aholla3

aholla3 New Member

Stan offered me one of his internship positions today. He said that he is looking for three interns--one to help him cover the Islanders, one to help him cover the Devils and one to work in his office with him on his newsletter.

Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to be able to accept, as he wants me to start as soon as possible, and I will be in school until late May. Bummer.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Are you located close to the area? Maybe do both?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Stan Fischler probably needs interns to change his drawers at this point. #talkaboutoldschool

10. aholla3

aholla3 New Member

I'm not located very close--student at Ohio State. He did tell me to contact him before the summer as he might want an intern or two then.

Draft saved Draft deleted