1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stalled job market for J-grads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boots, Aug 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Very disheartening study.
    http://www.grady.uga.edu:16080/annualsurveys/

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Do some thread-shopping at Romenesko?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On tuesdays.
    On Wednesday and Fridays he cuts and pastes all the openings from journalismjobs.com

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's a bad market these days. LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Saturday afternoons it's the AP feature wire.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

On the other hand, those new grads will jump at any job they're offered, which could be your job at 2/3 of the cost of your already meager salary.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

that's what scares me most.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Whats a newsy co-worker job getting these days?

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

We're not that desparate.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

"Data from the Cox Center's Annual Survey of Journalism and Mass Communication Graduates found that journalism and mass communication graduates in 2006 were no more likely to have a job offer when they finished their studies than graduates a year earlier and no more likely to have landed a full-time job by the end of October—approximately five months after leaving the university."

This doesn't surprise me too much. I just graduated and I remember a lot of 06 grads coming back in August / early Sept. to talk to old profs about their job searches. When my internship is up I'll probably do the same thing on the way home to move back in with Mom and Dad until I find a job.

I can't think of any cases where recent grads (05, 06 and 07) had job offers when they finished their studies. Most of the top people took internships at major dailies, hoping to get job offers after the internships.

12. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

It took me three years to find a permanent job after college. Now I've moved to another area and I'm on the hunt again. I'm unemployed (or freelancing, which is a sexier term, but it means the same thing imo) for about two months. I can't help but get discouraged.

Draft saved Draft deleted