1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stair Baseball Memories (from the 60's-70's) Anyone? (No this is not about Matt Stairs)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 13, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Posa ask I just reminded me on one of my earliest baseball memories, playing this with my cousin in front of his house. Man I loved that game.

Your memories?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Matt Stairs? Are we now doing random 90s players?

Twirling Time likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Who in MLB had the most hits in the 1990s?

Don't cheat.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Stair baseball?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mark Grace

Twirling Time likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You threw a tennis ball (or other plastic ball) against the stairs of a walkup and depending upon how far the ball went (you tried to hit the corner of the stair to get the ball to go flying), you got a certain hit, or the defender caught it on the fly (out) or caught a ground ball (out).

cyclingwriter2 and misterbc like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

In my dad's day, I think that was called Stoop Ball.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, I played this in the late-'80s on my front steps.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We didn’t have front steps. We had a yard.

With yellow jackets.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Is this the game Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari are playing (starting at 0:56) during the opening credits of "Bosom Buddies"?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Did it all the time in the early 60s using one of those spongy balls that were blue and red on each side and a white stripe around the middle. I was good at it and most of the time could hit the step edge and have the ball come right back to me but sometimes it would bounce up against our aluminium front door, making a hell of a racket and had me hoping one of my parents didn’t come out and tell me to stop. They never did. Nobody had hedges or anything between the houses on my street in North Winnipeg, West Kildonan actually, so that’s where our baseball diamond was. Hit it over the road and across the street and it was a home run. We were like about 8 y/o and eventually moved to the street, not much traffic and you could hit it a long way down the pavement. Overhand pitching and we would play for hours on end and almost every day. Road hockey in the winter. My first puck was an empty salmon tin with frozen water.

12. The Big Ragu

1) Fantastic memory on you, pulling out a Bosom Buddies reference.
    2) Donna Dixon. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted