1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stage falls on Sugarland crowd at Indiana State Fair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 13, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hadn't heard that about attendance. That's just a phony move, and kinda sad. Would be like MLB not announcing attendance for 1980s Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves games.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A sixth person has died from injuries received during the stage collapse.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20110819/NEWS01/110819009/BREAKING-NEWS-Monroe-Central-grad-becomes-sixth-death-state-fair-tragedy?odyssey=nav|head

With all the online comments I've seen taking concertgoers to task for not leaving the area on their own soon enough, as if it were their own damn fault the stage fell on them, I'm reminded of a line from "Airplane."

"Shaaa-na, they bought their tickets. They knew the risks. I say, let 'em crash."

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone find it interesting that we stopped showing video of the planes hitting the World Trade Center about three days after the 9-11 attacks but the networks seem to have no issue withh showing this stage collapsing on innocent people over and over and over and over and over...

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The death is up to seven -- the latest to die of her injuries, a 24-year-old cheerleading coach from Cincinnati.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110822/NEWS/110822020/Cheerleading-coach-dies-from-stage-collapse-injuries?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

And, of course, the lawsuits are starting.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110820/NEWS15/108200329/Stage-collapse-suits-seek-least-60M?odyssey=nav|head

A couple of interesting things about this case. One is that it seeks a restraining order against the state in order to preserve the wreckage. To me, that seems like a smart move, because with the state running the investigation (and, of course, having a vested interest in continuing its call of "fluke"), that gives outsiders a chance to take a look. Though the state says outsiders already have access, a restraining order would guarantee that the state couldn't restrict that access in any way, or change its mind.

Also, the case challenges Indiana state law denying next-of-kin, wrongful-death benefits to same sex partners. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the survivor of an Indiana couple that had gotten a civil union in Hawaii. (One thing I've learned from this collapse and aftermath: Sugarland has an enormous lesbian following.)

Most of the cash the lawsuit is seeking is against the private companies involved. The state caps its liability at $5 million -- a pittance when you consider there are now seven dead, and 43 injured, many severely. I'm surprised the case isn't also challenging that limit, though I would suspect that would be a much harder case to win.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Or not.

@BreakingNews: Correction: Woman previously identified as having died from injuries sustained in Indiana State Fair stage collapse remains on life support

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oops.

Unfortunately, she will be among the dead eventually. Her family says there is surgery scheduled for later today to remove her organs for donation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/story-removed-bc-us--indiana-fair-stage-collapse/2011/08/22/gIQAKrvPWJ_story.html

Draft saved Draft deleted