1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stage falls on Sugarland crowd at Indiana State Fair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This sound horrible. Let's pray the death toll goes no higher.

And, by no means do I want to make light of this, but these reports couldn't help but remind of that Notre Dame student who died not long ago. Also in Indiana. Also caused by huge gusts of wind that came out of nowhere.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This didn't come out of nowhere. Apparently, the crowd had a 10-minute warning to clear out.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That YouTube video is freaking insane.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My wife and I were just at a state fair show three nights ago. The stage is a temporary setup on a dirt track, with the infield and parking behind it. There's nothing solid on which you can secure the rigging. Normally, not an issue when the winds aren't 60 mph.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After watching that, I don't know how dozens were not killed.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Here's a much clearer clip from a different angle:

It looks like people were clearing the area just seconds before the collapse, and it could have been even worse. Prayers for the victims and their families.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

This shows it collapsing. Best video I've seen in terms of view.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Indy Star reporting 5 dead, 40+ in hospitals. Worst tragedy at Fairfrounds since 74 were killed in a propane explosion at the coliseum across the street in 1963.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Amamzing that this was not the worst thing to ever happen there.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Can't speak of last night in Indy, but I can call bullsh*t on the "out of nowhere" at ND. My house is less than five miles away from campus, and I had shingles blown off my roof , a couple hours before the tower went over. All three local news stations were broadcasting high wind warnings, all morning. "Out of nowhere" only exists in the imagination of the sock puppet that wrote ND's official "explanation."

Draft saved Draft deleted