1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stage collapses at Radiohead concert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One dead, per this report

http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-music/stage-collapses-before-radiohead-1459314.html

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holy crap, I saw Radiohead just last Friday at Bonnaroo.

This was hours before the concert and happened while they were setting up, fortunately, otherwise the toll could've been fearsome.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

After witnessing this happen last year not too far from here at a Sugarland concert, I held my breath when I saw the first pictures of it. Thankfully, no crowd was there, but Godspeed to the family of the one person who was killed.

After watching the Sugarland footage about 8,000 times, I can safely say I'll *never* sit/stand anywhere close to a temporary stage at an outdoor concert.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Something similar happened at a Cheap Trick show in Canada last year, I believe.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I used to work as part of a local crew in college and have first-hand experience with temporary stage set up. If done properly, like everything else I suppose, there shouldn't be an issue. But I also know some of the local crews I worked with and I wouldn't trust them to change a lightbulb. As elaborate the stage sets were and how quickly we worked I was always surprised we didn't have more accidents.

Draft saved Draft deleted