1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff writer, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Apr 4, 2011.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

We appreciate the updates, Dave.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree on the good/bad parts of both places -- but more good south of the county line, obviously. I've said there are worse places to go. This is a good job and the fact there are 50 applicants in a day shows that.

3. UPDATE: Staff writer, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

Four days after posting the open position, I'm happy to say I've received responses from 81 applicants.

Thanks for following directions and not wearing out my phone. Only two folks didn't follow that protocol.

I'm going to sort through everything this weekend. Hopefully, by Monday, I've narrowed the list to 10.

We're planning on filling this pretty quickly. Stay tuned. My plan will be start talking to those 10 next week. Everyone else will get an email by Wednesday.

Keep your fingers crossed. Lots of strong applicants.

Dave

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Those two people sound like go-getters who can take the bull by the horns. It'd be interesting to know where they end up.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They sound like two people who can't follow directions.
    We've been over the no calls thing before.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He even said "please" about no phone calls. It's not brain surgery.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Tanya, send him a direct message on here rather than hoping he looks at the message board.

8. tanyallyon

tanyallyon New Member

Thanks Matt! Will do!

9. UPDATE: Staff writer, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

An update ...
    THANKS to all of you who sent me electronic files (resumes, blog links, video files, etc.). The volume was so high that my email box imploded. Not once. But twice.
    That said, I've rescued all of your applications. I have reviewed all 87 applications I've received online.
    By now, I've already sent everyone a reply to let you know if you are in the final 10.
    Unfortunately, I disappointed 77 of you.
    The other 10 are happy ... at least for now.
    I'll be in touch with those 10 in a few days. I need a day to rest and recover and to get to know my wife and kids again (they felt a little ignored over the weekend).
    BTW: If you did not get a response, send an email at dammenheuser@pe.com. There's always the possibility that I lost your application in my email implosion.
    Again, thanks again for the hefty response.

Dave

10. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Thanks, Dave.

We appreciate it.

11. the champ

the champ Member

I did not apply for this job. But based on the way Dave has handled the opening here, I wouldn't hesitate to apply for another position with him in the future.

12. UPDATE: Staff writer, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

An update: Final three have been invited to come to Riverside next week.

Thanks to all of those who applied and kept my email humming.

Thanks to the other five finalists who spent time with me on the phone. I've already reached out to you so this note on this board should not be a surprise.

Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted