1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff writer, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Apr 4, 2011.

1. The Press-Enterprise has begun a search for its newest team member. We're looking for someone who is very adept in the multimedia world we all now live in.
    Can you:
    * Write an entertaining and informative blog?
    * File a game story, feature story and notebook on deadline?
    * Appear on camera during one of our studio or on-site video shoots?
    * Take a video camera and record a video profile to package with your print feature?
    * Think out-of-the-box and web first?
    * Bring new ideas to an established team?
    If so, The Press-Enterprise is looking for you. Our 120,000 daily covers Inland Southern California sports (more than 90 high schools, six colleges). We don't cover as many professional and college teams as we did a few years ago, however we still have a presence in the Greater Los Angeles market.
    Interested? Act quickly. Send me your resume and work samples, including writing clips, blog links and video links. Questions? Email me at dammenheuser@pe.com.
    Packages can also be mailed to Dave Ammenheuser, Assistant Managing Editor, The Press-Enterprise, 3450 14th Street, Riverside, Calif., 92501. No phone calls, please.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I know this area extremely well and know lots of people there/know this paper. PM if you have questions.

3. Martin .... What are you talking about? Simply not true. Not sure which organization you are referring to. It's not The Press-Enterprise.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

/wishes he had blog clips

5. MileHigh

Yeah, I haven't heard of anything remotely close to that having happened.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that I have some knowledge of this part of the world. As Dave acknowledges, the reach is not what it was, for a variety of reasons, but the product is still the dominant media in a two-county area of 4 million people. They do take their video/alternate story telling seriously.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think Martin's post (since deleted) was about Santa Barbara, not Riverside.
    But Riverside has had its own problems with unusual firings and the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

EDIT: granted, some of these were a few years ago.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If I didn't hate living in SoCal so much, I not only know the area well, but went to high school at Arlington (frosh) and John W. North (10-11). I have some survival stories of living on the Eastside in the late 1970s if we ever end up on a long drive somewhere.

Hear the crime has gotten out of hand, at least in San Berdoo, where I graduated from high school.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well, then, it's no surprise you hated living in SoCal.

10. MileHigh

San Berdoo -- especially around Cardinal City and certainly west of the I-215 -- has become an absolute armpit. Has been for a couple of decades now.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Riverside has its problems, namely, the Eastside and Casa Blanca. But San Berdoo is just the opposite: It has a couple of decent neighborhoods (north of 40th and Del Rosa), but the rest is a cesspool.

12. UPDATE: Staff writer, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

I've received approximately 50 applicants' emailed clips, resumes, links, etc.

Keep them coming.

I plan to take them all home with me this weekend and start narrowing the field.

I promise to email each and every applicant on their status sometime next week.

BTW: Regarding the above comments about San Bernardino and Riverside. Yes, there are tough/rough areas in both cities ... much like many of the cities across our fine land. There are also many terrific areas in/around Riverside, too.

Email me at dammenheuser@pe.com if you have questions.

Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted