1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff Writer -- Newberry, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PirateSports, Nov 3, 2010.

1. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

I worked at this shop. It's a tri-weekly that prints in house and is put together in Lumberton, NC (new development). There's two full-time staff writers already and a new publisher that has made this place a much better gig. Things have changed since I was there, but sports appears to be shared among the other staff writers. If the new person has some sports experience/knowledge/interest, this will probably become a mostly sportswriter position. There's three public high schools, a private school, and a D-II college in town.
    On the downside...Heartland...'nuff said.
    On the upside...wonderful people in the office and outside of the office.

From Journalismjobs.com

The Newberry Observer is seeking an additional staff writer, with a can-do spirit and skills to help us continue to grow our community newspaper. The ideal candidate should possess either a journalism degree or have two to three years newsroom experience. Applicants should also be sports savvy. Qualified candidates should submit a resume with three writing samples to: Denny Koenders PO Box 558 Newberry, SC 29108 or via e-mail to: dkoenders@heartlandpublications.com

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

So would this be a three-man shop for the entire newspaper?

3. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

yep...it was four when i was there. I was the sports editor/associate editor. My position was never filled after I left and the editor left this past June. So...the paper has been functioning with two staff writers, doing all the reporting and layout and helping out as there have been staff changes at nearby sister papers. There is no editor now...just reporters. I'm assuming the publisher is in charge of the newsroom now, but I'm not certain.

Needless to say, this is not an easy job, but it is a job nonetheless and I would love if a sports person filled it...I have many friends still there and they've been very upset at how the sports coverage has gone downhill, despite the effort of my friends in the newsroom. They do all they can, but they aren't sport people and overworked as it is.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Would this position require the candidate to do layout or copy editing of others' work?

5. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

you'll have to check with the publisher...but I would suspect you'll at least copy edit

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Sounds like a cool job. I have a feeling the staff writer would be responsible for taking their own photos at games.

7. richbnyc

richbnyc New Member

Newburry College is building a nice little baseball program, they have a pretty good coach in Rikeman.

8. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

Rikeman was let go, I think a year ago...NC has a brand new baseball stadium and nickname

9. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Newberry College has a couple of regionally ranked programs in Div. II including football, men's and women's basketball and baseball in recent seasons. I currently live 30 minutes from Newberry and my mother is a Sociology Prof. there.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted