1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff writer, Dallas Cowboys, Irving Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 25, 2013.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Both of these are true. Trust Billy Joel.

2. partain

partain Member

I made $25,000 a year as a one-man sports shop at a small daily not that far from Dallas -- 15 years ago.

Granted that shop might still pay the sports editor $25,000 a year.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Honest to God, when people here were questioning the $26k salary, my reaction was "too much or to little?"

The salary is far more than many other starting salaries we've seen. Dallas is a big city, but I lived in a moderate-sized city in a different state-income tax free locale. When I left my non-journalism gig at $28k a year (was there nine years), I thought I'd never make that much again. I lived quite well; even owned my own place.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That's like $15,000 less than the average journalism graduate starts out earning! #sorry

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Location, location, location.

(I did not major in journalism, so I can't skew those figures.)

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

We're talking about an NFL team here. That's BS money.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's an entry-level job. So it pays in comparison to other entry-level jobs.

Honestly, if something like this had been available when I was graduating, I would have been all over this like flies on syrup.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

But you're also talking about supply and demand. I'd guess the applicants for that position range in the hundreds.

I worked in an NHL city for a stretch. I don't think their starting communications-type positions paid near $26k.

9. Andrew Olson

Andrew Olson New Member

753 applicants to be exact. This is the first day I've noticed it has moved from open to closed to new applicants.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

So, 753 applicants? Impressive.

And some idiots are bitching about the pay? Dumbasses.

Like I said, if I were a newbie, I'd have jumped all over this. It can only lead to bigger and better things.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Don't read too much into that. Remember, the pay is not listed on the initial ad. We only have that figure because one of our own posted it. I'd bet many pulled out after hearing the pay, but like I said before, it's not that bad of pay (in Texas anyway) and it's with the Cowboys. If I though my job wa sin jeopardy right now, I'd have my application in.

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted