1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff meetings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I sat in a two-hour staff meeting today. It was about how we're now going to be held accountable for putting more stuff on our Web sites more frequently (We're weekly papers and they want the Web sites updated daily), but the subject of the meeting isn't why I started this thread. I've noticed that at most of our meetings, especially the ones when the people running the company stopped by to give a state-of-the-company address (that happened a lot more often under the previous ownership), the meeting would have been a lot shorter if not for all the questions that were asked. In any event. it seemed like many of the questions served no other purpose than to prolong the meeting and to call attention to the person asking the question. Many of them were simply variations of questions that were already asked.
    Is there a better way of running these meetings so either fewer questions get asked or they're asked in a way that they're not wasting everyone else's time?
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless you are the one running the meeting and are willing to give advice for shorter, peppier meetings to the corporate honchos, I think the point is somewhat moot.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lots of farting will take care of that.
  4. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

You're a weekly. What's the rush to get out of the meeting?
  5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We will have multiple briefing sessions on particular issues, such as insurance, and I have learned to avoid those attended by a husband-and-wife reporting team who are human rain delays with all their questions. None of which tend to be particularly enlightening,
  6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

To get back to posting on SportsJournalists.com :D

But really, who wants to sit through a bunch of stupid shit?
  7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

People at your meetings ask questions?

There are only two good questions to ask: 1) Are we making money or losing money (and how much)? 2) Is circulation going up or down? Whether or not people will get fired will be directly related to those answers.
  8. I've never met this husband and wife reporting duo, yet I have an overwhelming urge to strangle them. Better your paper than mine.
  9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Staff meetings suck. A memo usually does the trick just as well.

And yes, there always seems to be the one co-worker, usually the most irrelevant and insecure one, that has to hold up things up by at least a half hour with insipid questions. We used to have a librarian who would do that. Everything the paper did had to relate to the library. Thankfully, we had an ME who was observant enough to see how annoying her questions were to everyone, that he started closing the meetings by saying "That's it. You all can go why I answer <librarian's> questions." Once she realized she would no longer have an audience, she stopped asking questions.
  10. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

It's even worse when that husband and wife reporting duo also double as teachers at the local University's J-School.
  11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

They are both also (in)famous on their side of the room – thankfully, far away from my desk – for their bouts of unrestrained flatulence.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The grand poobahs of our corporate parent travel to all the various properties once a year to give a "State of the Company" speech. And every year, the same group of people double the length of the meeting with their stupid damn question.

One guy, every single year, asks if there's going to be a stock split. And the CEO always says the same thing - "It really doesn't matter; I mean, would you rather have a dime or two nickels?"
Draft saved Draft deleted