1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff editor, CBS SportsLine.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Craig_Stanke, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't know Craig. Have never heard anything but good things. If you are at all interested, I encourage you to apply. This one has the Moddy Seal of Approval.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Craig,

I'm sorry you felt obligated to stab a single key in response to that.

3. Dave_Doyle

Dave_Doyle New Member

My first job out of college was with Sportsline, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, both for the contacts I made, one of whom hired me for my present gig with FOXSports.com, and for my growth as an editor.

So, you can take Craig's word and that of everyone else posting on this thread, or the word of someone whose sole purpose on this board appears to involve taking anonymous cheap shots.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Craig Stanke is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

5. Hey, I"m sure Craig Stanke is a great guy. What I'm saying: Let's see all the corporate news operations list their salary ranges in the job posts. Get the money range up there in your job descriptions.

Fair-market talent deserves fair-market honesty up front. Quit making people guess at what City A is paying when City B 20 miles away pays $5,000 more.

No one appreciates getting a job and then finding out they low-balled you. If you would please list the salary range up front, after you weed out the unqualified, you might actually get a better range of applicants.

Why newpapers hide salary ranges in their job posts is beyond me. Other industries love to shout out what they might pay you. And if no one speaks out about it, nothing will change.

Hence my point. Change is good. Change is needed. And it's not a competitive market if they won't be up front about salary ranges. So no matter how much you like the job, don't settle for the first offer. Hedge the second if you can, take the third if you like it. You should know that if they like you, they're always willing to pay you better then the first offer, and maybe the second.

Discuss at will.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Um, the reason why "other industries love to shout out what they might pay you" is because most other industries pay a lot better than ours. The salary is a major selling point of a job. That's almost never the case in our business. I think a lot of journalism jobs don't post money because indeed it's not that great and they don't want to automatically lose a number of applicants. Better to not make salary public, hopefully get that really good candidate and then work with him/her to make things as reasonable as possible financially. And the market is plenty competitive, the last time I checked, without money being an up-front issue.

At the very least, lay off Stanke (and I don't know him, btw). People who come here to announce and discuss their openings are doing all of us a nice service.

7. So what are you saying, Playthrough? You want to bust your ass, with your college degree, and NOT get paid well while you're working nights, weekends and holidays?

Good for you, but you get to my age and it ain't worth it anymore.

It's valuable experience. But I bet you're getting low-balled also.

8. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

I gotta admit, while not a fan of the agressive approach Heywood uses, I agree salary should be posted. The argument that it doesn't pay well so keep it quiet isn't a very good one. This is a great field, and often newspapers take advantage of how much we love what we do. I've been doing this for seven years, and all the expected, unpaid overtime is getting old. We offer a service to the public, and it isn't free. If you want the best employees, pay a living wage. Maybe renting a one bedroom, one bath is acceptible for some (i.e single people), but I have a wife and two kids. I have a grad degree, and would like to be compensated like others with similar education. How many fields use as diverse skills as we do: design, copy editing, writing, web production, online streaming video. And the research that goes with it. And that's just in one day...

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

JJF- you won't get any argument from me that newspapers take advantage of their people. But you just can't be THAT surprised that the pay sucks, or that a grad degree would somehow add up to more $. It is possible to take all those skills and make more money somewhere else, so maybe you'll want to explore those routes. But in the paper biz, I think we're past the point of staffs and paychecks expanding.

10. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Heywood wrote: "No one appreciates getting a job and then finding out they low-balled you"

I've been doing this 30 years. I've never taken a job without knowing what it pays. And as one who hires, I pay according to experience. For a job as a sports writer covering the MLB team, I don't think I'll pay a writer three years out of college the same as I'd pay a person who has covered MLB for 18 years. That's why salary isn't posted. But both could apply.

I think Stanke would pay me (30 year guy) more than he'd pay a 5-year guy.

11. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

Why wouldn't I be surprised? Call me naive (and you wouldn't be the first), but I always thought of journalism as a skilled field. We should be hiring the best people and putting out the highest quality product. That doesn't happen by constantly hiring people who will settle for what papers pay. And we, as employees, usually have a say in what we get paid. But since so many of us just accept it, nothing happens. If that's true, then newspapers will slowly die off as the best people explore other fields with higher pay, playthrough.

Anyway, none of this is to say people shouldn't explore Stanke's job. Maybe the future of all this is online. And if it is 27K, that's a pile more than a small daily in CA, where it is a HELL of a lot more expensive than Fla. to live.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I worked at SportsLine for 2 1/2 years, enjoyed it thoroughly and was paid on par or better than my colleagues with similar experience at the Miami Herald, South Florida Sun-Sentinel and Palm Beach Post.

Craig Stanke is a pleasure to work with and for and what you would learn on this job would make you a better editor online or in dead-tree media. And South Florida can be a great place to live.

And you might as well learn the online pace now, because the pace at which newspapers operate will be gone soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted