1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stadiums Slated For Destruction

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

RFK won't be torn down until DC United's new stadium is built.

Continental Airlines Arena, formerly Brendan Byrne Arena, is an interesting case. The Devils are moving into their new stadium in Newark. The Nets seem to be remaining at the CAA. If the Brooklyn stadium is ever built I am unsure what will become of CAA.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have always wondered why they feel the need for 2 teams in one stadium.....

A. Do the fans like it?

B. Do the teams like it?

What is stopping one of the teams from building their own?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Expensive real estate.

The fact that it's costing $1 billion just to build one football stadium in the metropolitan area is another.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought the ground already was broken on Brooklyn?

When do the Devils move?

One arena that never should've been torn down is the old Garden. They were in a massive rush to tear it down and redevelop the site; 10 years later, it's still a parking lot.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, wicked, the old Garden is NOT a parking lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Worldwide_Plaza

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

babblebabblebabble ... Manhattan bias ... babblebabblebabble.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, sorry 'bout those little things called FACTS!

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Flyover Country, etc.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A fake tape cutting doesn't count. Neither do people standing in front of buildings with shovels when all the paperwork isn't even finished.

They will be in Newark at the start of this coming NHL season.

If there are two NFL teams, why would they not share? The stadium is used for 8-regular season games. How anyone would consider building a stadium for the hundreds of millions of dollars and then use it for 8-solid dates is beyond me. At least with a second team there is a solid 16-dates that it will be used for.

The next issue would be location. When the Jets tried to foolishly build in Manhattan people rightfully realized that a lack of tailgating would mean that people would be much too sober to actually sit and watch a live NFL game.

The other option, building a stadium in Queens, did not appeal to the Jets. But since this is specifically about generic teams sharing, I will only state that if a team wants to build a stadium they can buy the land and pay for the construction. However, how many teams really want to do that? The Giants claim to be doing it all on their own but they received lots of tax breaks and the land essentially came free.

Were a state to give that type of break to two teams it should be raked over the coals.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The main issue was Charles Dolan blocking the plan because, well, he's Charles Dolan.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not just Dolan, wicked.
    The main issue was a lot of politicians, commuity groups, etc. not wanting a football stadium on the West side of Manhattan.

The Brooklyn arena is still nothing more than a Bruce Ratner pipe dream... no ground has been broken, many community issues are still unresolved... in short, it will never happen.
    Best guess is the Nets eventually become "tenants" at the Devils arena in Newark ... after Ratner realizes he isn't getting his Brooklyn arena and sells the team.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Tiger Stadium next year, at long agonizing last. It's sad to watch it rust from the outside.

From what I recall, the Nets' proposed palace in Brooklyn is at the same spot where O'Malley talked about building a replacement for Ebbets Field back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted