1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stadium Reviewer, Atlanta, Kansas City, Boston

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by StadiumJourney, Jan 30, 2013.

1. StadiumJourney

StadiumJourney New Member

I am the founder and editor of StadiumJourney.com and Stadium Journey Magazine, looking for writers to join my team for freelance work to write reviews of the experience of attending sporting events in the regions mentioned in the header. Payment is based on the page views that are generated, and number of reviews submitted per month.

Applicants should NOT expect this to be a full time job, or huge money making opportunity. This is a good opportunity for people who are already attending sporting events in these areas, or who are interested in covering venues in these areas. Payment starts at $4.00/1,000 page views. Please feel free to email me if interested or if you have questions at paul@stadiumjourney.com

If you want to see examples of reviews, then go to the website: http://www.stadiumjourney.com/ or see the magazine: http://www.stadiumjourney.com/magazine

2. writingump

writingump Member

To paraphrase John McEnroe, are you serious? A measly $4 for 1,000 views? Might as well work for free.

3. StadiumJourney

Gotta appreciate an ump paraphrasing John McEnroe...

It's true that it's not much, and I wish we could afford more, but it is a good addition for folks who will be out at games anyways. It's not for everyone, but that's where I'm at currently...I should add that for the role of Regional Correspondent I also tack on some compensation for other reviews that we currently have done in the region, so that can help to make the rate a little more attractive

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'd bet it would be quite difficult to get to even 1000 views to earn that $4.

5. StadiumJourney

Not really, we get well over 200,000 page views per month. Depends on the review of course, but over the course of a year someone who writes several reviews can start to earn a bit. Again, this would very much be a side job, or auxiliary to work that may already be getting done, like it you're at a game already to do work for a game recap or something like that.

6. vols1998

vols1998 New Member

Think I made more hauling hay in high school ...

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

So you buy a ticket to get into said stadium, let's just say Kauffman and Arrowhead, because I'm Missouri, at $50 a pop. So you're out $100, at least, before you even write a single word?
    Doesn't exactly sound like a good deal.

8. StadiumJourney

We get credentialed 80-90% of the time, so ticket cost is not an issue.

9. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Credentialed to cover a stadium experience? Man, I'd need to see proof of that. Most SIDs I know have some latitude, but generally it exists to coverage of their team, not to a stadium.

10. StadiumJourney

Didn't start this thread to prove anything. SEC schools and NFL are tough, but otherwise my writing team tends to get credentialed. Looking for people to go to some games and write about it. If you're interested, then please get in touch with me...

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Hate on him all you want, but gotta give StadiumJourney props for saying up front what he's paying. If you're already covering a game at a stadium, you won't be out any money for tickets or anything. Send him what he's looking for and then when you get a check a few months later, go have dinner. He said you're not going to get rich, but if it'll buy a meal or (at least part of) a tank of gas, why not?

12. slc10

slc10 Member

I am a sucker for the pressbox at Turner Field. I used to go there a lot and enjoyed the food. I also llearned a litttle about sports journalism that a professor could not teach.

Draft saved Draft deleted