1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STACK Magazine: Elite 50 Colleges for Athletics and Academics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Dec 5, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember UCLA always doing well in these things because they have/had about 175 NCAA athletic teams.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ask our newest poster. He seems to be shilling for it.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, if that's the case, I think he'll find we will put up with that not. ;)

4. Sorry cuz, not shilling for anybody. I think it is an interesting concept put out by a magazine below the radar of a lot of people. Why has no other "above the radar" publication taken on such an effort?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

SI has done this a few times.

6. Would that be the same SI that can't even gives women's college sports equal treatment on their web site?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Because the notion of which college may or may not have the most dominant athletic programs is almost entirely subjective? Or because even the colleges highly ranked in their academics by US News and World Report are trying to get the magazine to stop ranking them, because that process is almost entirely subjective, too? Or that by combining all this subjectivity into a single survey of 50 "elite" colleges for academics and athletics you wind up with a list as unreliable, eccentric and pointless as the 50 sexiest women in prime-time as decided by the distinguished panel at AOL-TV? Just a guess.

8. Of course it is subjective, but does that make it have no worth? For example, no one in this thread has touched on the fact that just because a school is good academically does not mean that is anything to do with the academic performance of the athletes at those schools. Perhaps cross-referencing that list with the NCAA published graduation rates (which are worthless as is) might give it more objectivity?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Academic quality has nothing to do with athletic performance.

Nothing.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The solution to the problems caused by combining two lists to generate a third will not be found in adding a fourth.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wow! My alma mater has no football team (since 1992), but it still made the list at No. 47!

12. My alma mater only had a club football team. In their last game of what was their last season, the was a chlorine leak at the nearby Dupont plant that led to all of the players and fans being taken to the emergency room...

Draft saved Draft deleted