1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STACK Magazine: Elite 50 Colleges for Athletics and Academics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Stack Magazine's has issued its first ranking of the top 50 Division I schools based on overall athletic programs and academic excellence. This should make for some interesting discussion/debate. This list may give some of you all some interesting copy.

The magazine did not show the breakdown by conference, so I went and did it:

Big Ten Conference (9)
    PAC-10 Conference ( 8 )
    Atlantic Coast Conference (9)
    Big 12 Conference ( 8 )
    Southeastern Conference (7)
    Big East Conference (5)
    Ivy League (1)
    Mountain West Conference (1)
    West Coast Conference (1)
    Big West (1)

The Stack rankings are a very interesting read as they also break down the programs by individual sport. One that makes me chuckle is the top 15 wrestling schools. I have got to look see how many D-1 schools actually have a wrestling program.

You can see the full list and breakdown by sport at the Stack Magazine web site, and the breakdown by conference at Eye on Sports Media.

2. That there is not yet a Tim Tebow joke about STACKED Magazine on this thread makes baby Jesus cry.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

It's Stack magazine. And neither of your links work.

4. Thanks. Mind was in the gutter on the Mag name. And still learning how links work in here.

All fixed.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

SMU is not a Big 12 school.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

North Carolina is ranked No. 1 overall and No. 1 in men's basketball, women's basketball and baseball. Curiously, UNC is No. 2 in women's soccer.

7. Late night brain spasm. SMU and Rice are fixed. Sometime the mind goes fuzzy since there is no real football outside of the SEC ;-)

8. My point still stands.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF is Stack Magazine?

10. If you followed the link to their web site you would see ;-):

"STACK Magazine - For The Athlete, By The Athlete

STACK is the first magazine dedicated to helping high school athletes improve their performance safely and effectively. We provide information on state-of-the-art training, nutrition and sports skills from the nation's top professional athletes, trainers and coaches.

STACK is the brainchild of former high school and collegiate athletes, Nick Palazzo and Chad Zimmerman. While in high school, Nick and Chad could not find any sources to help them improve athletically, which, at the time, was their focus. In college, they found their teammates had this same frustration in high school. So, upon graduation, Nick and Chad developed STACK and launched the magazine in February of this year."

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Looks to me like the rankings are about 90% athletics-based. I doubt they gave serious thought to the academics.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why should anybody give two shits about the rankings put out by a magazine less than one year old? My gosh, taking this list seriously would be like taking Details "50 most influential men under 45" (which included K-Fed) seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted