1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stabler, Stanfel are Football Hall Senior Nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Enshrinement » Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel Selected as Finalists for Class of 2016

Jerry Kramer says WTF one again. I don't get how you can view Stanfel as a better nominee but whatever AND he was nominated in 2012 and 1993, didn't get in and is the only Senior Nominee since (surprise, Jerry Kramer in 1997) to not be inducted.

I wonder if Stabler would have been the choice if he hadn't just passed away.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Stanfel also died in the last couple of months.

Funny how that happens.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize Stanfel had passed away right before Stabler.

That pick doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The guy played seven seasons -- there is a high peak element. One year he missed half the games (yet still was all-pro). Another he missed a fourth of the season. I know it's before my time but it's a head scratcher.

As a member of the 1950s all-decade team, he is one of five not in the hall and four on offense. Fellow guard Dick Barwegan (who has similar accolades to Stanfel and played longer), Bobby Walston and Alan Ameche aren't in. Joe Fortunato is the defender not in.
    All of the 50s decaders were put in by 1979 except two -- Bob St. Clair in 1990 and Jack Butler three years ago.

By comparison, Kramer is one of 12 all-decade 1960s guys not in.

And defenders still getting the shaft. There are now 56 Senior nominees: 35 offense, 15 defense, four coaches, one special teamer, one owner.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dr. Z noted among his many criticisms of Stabler that there were persistent gambling suspicions about him.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No shit?

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Z was always adamantly against Stabler's induction.
    It's rare for a single voter to be so vehement in his case against a player.

Draft saved Draft deleted