1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Ronnie's Boondoggle Lives!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 20, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Did we hit the satellite?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us/21satellite.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

A missile interceptor launched from a Navy warship has struck a dying American spy satellite orbiting 130 miles over the Pacific Ocean, the Pentagon announced late Wednesday.

Officials cautioned that while early information indicated that the interceptor’s “kill vehicle” had hit the satellite, it would be 24 hours before it could be determined whether the fuel tank with 1,000 pounds of toxic hydrazine had been destroyed as planned.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The House remained Democrat-controlled throughout the entire Reagan administration. Yet I note that not a single lefty blames any of them for the spending.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Had Congress rubber-stamped every Reagan budget, this country would have been more in the red, not less.

Give Reagan credit: You've hit the big time when you want to outspend Tip O'Neill.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Damn, Batman beat me to reminding you that D-Day was indeed, held up because of stormy weather over the English Channel.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The other 10% would be about Serie A, since Italy and Germany were allies. ☻

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Direct hit.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/02/21/satellite.shootdown/index.html

8. Congratulations to the Navy for proving that you can shoot something down with a missile, which we've known since the ABM days of the 1970's, as long as you know where it is, when it's coming down, and the weather cooperates.

9. I'm always amazed how people who bash Reagan for the deficit always like to pretend that Jimmy Carter didn't exist. The alternative to Reagan in 1980 was history's greatest monster and spiraling stagflation - Jimmy Carter would have turned us into Canada with better weather.

Reagan righted the ship on the economy and kicked off the boom years we've been having for the past 28 years.

10. "History's greatest monster"?
    Was Stalin, Hitler, Napoleon, or Kodos on the ballot in '80? I forget.
    And the deficit ballooned under Reagan and because of Reagan's devotion to the crackpottery of supply-side economics. He got bailed out of the inevitable recession by some sensible folks on his staff and by Tip O'Neill after the '82 midterms. He then sold missiles to the country who sponsored the murder of 240 of our Marines. As far as I know, Carter never did that.

11. I'm assuming that since you mentioned Kodos that you got the Simpsons reference to Carter.

As far the recession of the early 1980's - that was not caused by Supply Side economics. That was caused by Jimmy Carter raising the prime rate to 21.5% in his last month in office (December 1980). That's the highest that rate has ever been under any President but something Carter was forced to do because inflation was out of control under his watch.

Not sure if you want to bring up the subject of Iran in regard to Carter since be basically made the theocracy possible by stabbing the Shah in the back.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Great Communicator! City on a hill! Etc!

Draft saved Draft deleted