1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Petersburg Beach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by terrier, Jan 17, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Try the blackened dishes at Crabby Bill's.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In the Dali museum, time melts as you stand there.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

First Hooter's, right?

Go kick the manager in the balls.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i stayed at the vinoy last month. very nice. also nice because the columbia at the pier is walking distance. sangria. yum. and get the white chocolate bread pudding. seriously. can't be beat.

i'll be the voice of dissent on the dali museum. i thought it was, eh. and, well, the people pissed me off as much as anything. i hate faux intellectuals discussing art. especially if i happen to know a little bit about it. i'll say this about dali, dude loved dick. seriously. loved the cock. couldn't stop painting it. the scale of many of the works (well, more like sketches) are pretty impressive from a purely mechanical standpoint. but hey, that's just me. i kinda feel like dali is frat boy beginner art and something dudes like to buy at poster sales at the student union as a freshman and get really high and look at 'em and listen to pink floyd. but that's just me.

sarasota's nice for spring training too -- especially gus' across from home plate at ed smith stadium for breakfast and maria's chicken in the shopping center beyond left field and across the street for all other meals. seriously, trust me on this one -- quarter chicken with maduros and black beans.

the justrays' park in st. pete is nice, too. don't go to legends. it's crap and just the bullshit you'd expect from anything associated with the yankees.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I love that area. I love blackened grouper sandwiches, and some of the best I've had have been at two different places down there (I think Hurricane was one of them). There's also some nice beach bars.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

First Hooters is in Clearwater, on a profoundly congested east-west artery. Not worth the trouble. But good call on Crabby Bill's, there's a few locations around Tampa/St. Pete.

Derby Lane greyhound track just north of downtown St. Pete is worth a side trip even if you're not the wagering type. Part of Ocean's Eleven was filmed in the grandstand. You can burger-and-beer it up there or have the evening crab leg buffet in a very nice clubhouse.

7. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Vinoy is quite nice, but he's actually referring to the Don Cesar. The Don is a classic resort - both are very good places.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The place we're looking at has a kitchen and we'll probably cook mainly in-house, but we'll eat out one night (we're partial to buffets). I've never had grouper - not a clue what it tastes like (the Fisherman's Catch in Wells, Maine, is the standard by which we judge seafood).
    There won't be any baseball on this trip (no money left for a divorce lawyer afterward LOL). Although if we get some rain, we may check out the Dali museum - Mrs. T. is a former art student (alas, not a Roy Lichtenstein fan).

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Clearwater! Right. And damn I remember how crowded that road was, now that you mention it.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Discovered this place by accident when I arrived way early one morning. Good and cheap. Turns out half the team was in there, too. Suffice to say the Reds don't put out much of a breakfast for the players in the morning -- basically a lot of cold cereal best I could tell.

Draft saved Draft deleted