1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Pete looking for a certain type of Final Four audience...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 1, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Full disclosure, Ace and others on the board: I'm on a spring baseball trip that covers five games. Reds-Diamondbacks tonight, Braves-Mets Friday.

So yes, it does balance out. :)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nothing like a little stereotyping to ruin an otherwise decent story.

Big difference between appraising a potential target audience and basically calling out all fans.

I like women's basketball. I'm heterosexual. Is there a problem with that?

4. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Brilliant. So you already know me?

Good ... long introductions are overrated. ::)

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wonder how much that is going to change in the future because it seems the top young players on the LPGA like guys -- Creamer, Pressel, Kerr, Gulbis, Lincicome, Pettersen -- and Sorenstam has been married twice.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good news.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I notice in the story that some restaurants are offering specials to lesbian customers.
    Do you have to prove you're gay to get the 2-for-1 appetizers?
    And how?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My, aren't we curious?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think they could have written a story about the businesses trying to attract lesbians without perpetuating stereotypes about the crowd in general or trying to attach a bogus statistic to it.

My wife and I went to a D-I women's lacrosse game Saturday and there was a large crowd. There were a lot of parents with teen-age daughters. I covered women's pro hoops in the late 1970s and early 1980s and that's how the crowds were then, too. One of the pro teams had a vocal corps of male fans who seemed blissfully unaware that they had zero chance of, ummm, scoring after the game.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of buddies went to George Washington and he's a huge fan of their women's program.
    They were on TV this past weekend and we all sat around and watched it. He's 34 or so and well out of school, but he knew the player's names. Knew little bits of trivia.
    And was moving to DC for work and couldn't wait so he could get season tickets to their games. His wife couldn't stop mocking him over it, but that's another story.
    So you do have pockets of fandom out there, but I don't think it is unreasonable to appeal to the demographics of visiting fans.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That guy will be in jail within two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted