1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Pete looking for a certain type of Final Four audience...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. steveu

    steveu Well-Known Member


    Gotta wonder how many letters they'll get from this, pro and con.
  2. dixiehack

    dixiehack Well-Known Member

  3. Baron Scicluna

    Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

    The one quote from the woman saying that 75 percent were gay and 25 percent were in the closet definitely should not have run. You have parents and relatives of players watching the games, along with little kids. How does she know that they are all gay?
  4. Doesn't matter if it's true. It's a fantastic quote.
  5. STLIrish

    STLIrish Active Member

    What was he supposed to do, put in parentheses afterward ("actually, surveys show that only 57 percent of fans at last year's final four were gay")?

    I thought it was a good story.
  6. Mizzougrad96

    Mizzougrad96 Active Member

    Wait, are you telling me that most of women's basketball fans are gay? :D
  7. dooley_womack1

    dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

    Simple: Don't use the quote. What if it were: "75 percent of black men openly slurp down watermelon and Thunderbird, and the other 25 percent do it privately."? Or any such similar permutation. It was a stereotyping remark that had no probative value.
  8. BigDog

    BigDog Active Member

    There's no way 75 percent of black men slurp down watermelon and Thunderbird. At least not at the same time. That's just wrong.
  9. Metin Eniste

    Metin Eniste Member

    All-you-can-eat fish?
  10. jfs1000

    jfs1000 Member

    Out of line.

    Anyhow, the fan base is either gay or senior citizens. Was down at a final 4 a couple of years ago, it was all lesbian women. Kind of weird.
  11. fishwrapper

    fishwrapper Active Member

    This one crosses a line, obviously. But, we use quotes filled with hyperbole all the time. Making "probative value" a threshold would eliminated 91.3% of quotes and statistics...including that one.
  12. dooley_womack1

    dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

    And includng your post, obviously, which was probably part of your point. The thing is, using specific numbers like that is a mile different than using a quote like, "Darn near all of them are gay, and the one who aren't are closeted." That's hyperbolic, and doesn't state specific percentages that can be mistakenly interprepted as fact be a harried reader.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page