1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Pete, err, Tampa Bay Times, cuts pay, people

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Oct 6, 2011.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Re: St. Pete cuts pay, people

A memo went out today from executive editor Neil Brown, describing the current "terrible economy" and acknowledging that additional layoffs are in the future. The memo is posted here: http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/148910/layoffs-follow-pay-cut-at-poynters-st-petersburg-times/#more-148910

It also was announced that the paper has sold part of its parking lot to a property developer. Not sure what that's more a sign of -- desperation for cash, or recognition that the company doesn't need quite so many parking spots anymore.

Updated to show the memo has been posted online and to accurately reflect its contents and origin.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Look @ CNHI. You've got 4 furloughs a year, which works out to about an 8% pay cut, which I guess the upside of that over a 5% permanent cut is they can dangle out the carrot that says "maybe someday we'll be able to end furloughs." But that's mighty unlikely.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I know it doesn't help to pay the bills, but give me a choice between a 5 percent pay cut and I'm working the same amount, vs. an (in effect) 8 percent pay cut in the form of 4 additional weeks off per year, and I'll take the latter every day of the week.

If you factor in the unemployment that you would be eligible for in most states for furlough time, and it's even more of a no-brainer for me.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Any further news on extent of layoffs?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Amen to that.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

http://www2.tbo.com/business/business/2011/oct/11/spbizo1-st-petersburg-times-lays-off-veteran-journ-ar-270990/

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Best post on the board by far.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Layoff notices continue with at least two more Monday.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

St. Petersburg Times reveals it has cut staff by 6 percent in recent weeks

The St. Petersburg Times has reduced its full-time workforce by about 6 percent, company officials said Wednesday. The recession – particularly a drop in national advertising this summer – has prompted new expense reductions at various newspaper companies.

The Times began eliminating some jobs about six weeks ago and left other positions vacant. Last month the company also announced that full time staffers would see their pay cut 5 per cent for the next five months, with 5 additional paid days off in return.

Times officials declined to identify specific job reductions, but said most jobs came from operations, which handles printing and delivery, and the newsroom.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/content/st-petersburg-times-reveals-it-has-cut-staff-6-percent-recent-weeks#comments

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Last person, please turn off the light.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That 4 weeks of furloughs a year?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

On the bright side, at least they get the extra five days off with pay. A lot of newspaper companies would have just given the pay cut and told their employees they better like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted