1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Paul backup Twins/GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I know Pat Borzi, who covered the Mets when he was in New York, moved to Minnesota because of his wife's job.
    He continues to freelance, for the NY Times for one, but I don't know if he ever found a full-time gig.

This one, obviously, would be perfect if he's interested.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd like a job, but not this one. I'm only posting to say in reading countless ads, only the paper in Point Reyes posts such long-winded and pretentious help wanted ads as the St. Paul sports section,

3. woodstein

woodstein New Member

You can trash the sports editor all you want, his verbose job postings, its ax-wielding owner NewsMedia, the brutally cold winters of Minnesota and a web site that is less navigable than a London alley.
    In spite of it all -- and we're talking a HUGE bite of spite -- it's a very good sports section in a brutally competitive market. The section just won 7 top-10 APSE awards. That doesn't happen without talent. Its writing is sharper and its reporting often more aggressive than the well-greased Strib, which is about to undergo its own downsizing very soon. Depth is razor thin right now because of cutbacks.
    But no market has more newspaper readers per capita, which is nothing to sneeze about in an increasingly illiterate world. There are 4 pro sports teams with huge followings, a Big 10 school never out of the news, prep sports interest to die for and a major scheduled sporting event usually rolls through town every 3-4 years. If you want an opportunity to cover big-time sports and you don't need hand holding, it's a perfectly fine place to work, especially in this confused navel-gazing, vultures-are-circling era of newspaper journalism. If you're interested in Utopia, perhaps you've heard of Google

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

affirmative

5. He would be a great choice!

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Fixed.

7. woodstein

woodstein New Member

Look, Mike Bass is an equal opportunity idiot. But don't believe that bullshit you've read on this site about the female reporters who were yanked off their beats. It was performance based.

8. "That bullshit?" It was awhile ago, but wasn't there documented evidence and a settlement? I know the whole saga was published in other papers.

9. satchmo

satchmo Member

10. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

My understanding is that the job came down to kelsie and one other male, who was at least as qualified if not more so, and that gender probably tipped the scales in her favor.

11. sarge

sarge New Member

Woodstein,

If Bass had had a problem with only one woman or had it happen at only one newspaper that he has worked at, I'd be willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

He got demoted at the Cincy Post after his paper paid a settlement to a woman who was treated poorly. Now the EEOC finds against him.

My question is how does he keep his job?

Bad guy. Bad, bad guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted