1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Louis Post-Dispatch drops George Will from rotation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Jun 19, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, so how do you reconcile, intellectually, your confidence in your ability to control yourself with your assertion that women's consent is conditioned on the omnipresent fear of violence posed by men? Given that fear, who's to say that, despite all of your best intentions and efforts, your sexual partner won't come to the conclusion that her inherent fear of you -- not anything you said or did -- led to her non-consenting consent?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Through unambiguous communication.

The fact that someone can lie at some point later doesn't change the rules or laws in any way. That is a present possibility in just about anything.

4. RickStain

Alternate answer: By secretly filming all sexual interactions

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My apologies for misreading that particular sentence. Most of your other points on this issue have been poor so I read that one too quickly and just assumed it was as well.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's difficult to say because I've never been in a situation where there was sex without mutual trust and respect. That's probably a good start.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Many businesses establish very strict codes of conduct with harsh penalties and disciplinary systems that afford the accused little, if any, due process. Why is it different if a college does this?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also, it was pretty damn lazy to jump into the discussion without even bothering to read what Will wrote.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a show of hands of how many men have had sex with a woman who said no to the first advance, then the guy waited a couple of minutes and put his hand there again, and this time it happened.

My guess is nearly every hand in the room would go up. And I guess that means we'd all be rapists.

10. RickStain

Oh look, it's the point in the thread where someone taking a horrible stand generalizes and assumes everyone does it.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The most cursory reading of the issue would lead you to the realization that this is incorrect.

Sexual assault/rape now, in some corners, means a woman says yes but then after the fact thinks she was too drunk to say yes. (She wasn't incapacitated.) It means that if she doesn't explicitly say yes but accepts the advances, she might not have been giving consent.

The links on the previous page are very instructive. Many of them come from the leading victims' advocates in the nation. To your initial point, all of them agree that the definition of rape has been vastly broadened. Some even say it has been too vastly broadened.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What I hear you saying is that your relationships in which sex was on the table involved two adults -- meaning grown-ups, not just people of legal age. And that is absolutely a good start. Indeed, it's the absolute best start.

What's being talked about, though, are not sexual encounters involving the former. We're talking, in this thread, about the latter, a population in which mutual trust and respect trade at a serious, serious discount.

Draft saved Draft deleted