1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Augustine, FL, sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jboy

jboy Guest

You could live in Palatka and commute. Hell, you could buy a house for $500/month on some parts of the St. John's River and drive your boat to work.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Since this is the type of job and location that would not be for a lifetime, why worry about a couple of years of cheap renting? Not enough to buy a house? Why would you in this general market when, in all likelihood, you'll move on in a year or two anyway?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, all you have to do is cruise up through Jacksonville, around to Mayport and then south on the ICW. Shouldn't take less than 3-4 hours, given the number of no-wake zones.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You just encouraged a fellow human being to move to Palatka? There are UN resolutions against that sort of thing.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It never fails to amaze me that the immediate reaction to any job posted here that's in a place that isn't a complete pesthole draws the reponse "you can't afford to live there." You can't afford to live on a sportswriters' salary anywhere, so you might as well be broke in a nice spot.
    For the record, there are empty developments and condo complexes lining the roads between Ponte Vedra Beach and St. Augustine. The banks would be happy to hear from you.

6. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

They cover Florida football? That's news to those who actually do.

7. Actually, they've staffed every home game for years now and have sent writers to the conference and national title games.

This is not news to other people like myself, who only get to cover home games.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

And the statement that St. Augustine isn't directly in the U of Florida market ... wow. That's laughable. By that logic, only the Gainesville Sun should be staffing Gator home games, because that's the only paper that's "directly in the market."

The entire state of Florida is the UF market. St. Augustine is right in the Gators' backyard.

Huckleberry, as you yourself noted, you've never seen the St. Augustine Record. I rather suspect you've never been to St. Augustine, either.

9. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Wonder what this pays?

Problem is, there are two new schools opening in the area this later year, one splitting Nease in half and the other splitting Bartram Trail in half, giving this paper a total of seven schools to cover (a lot for a three-man team if you ask me). Most of the work I see in the paper is wire stuff (Florida, Jags, etc..) The only times I see a staffer writing from one of the big games around here (ACC Champ game, Gator Bowl and so on) is when a local plays in it and the story is on their homecoming. Otherwise it's all AP and some other news services.

I'm not talking down on the paper (I do read it almost every day) but for a mainly HS job with some trips to larger events, would it pay decently?

10. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

It's relatively pricey there. Unless you want to live in the 'hood, chances are you'll easily pay $850 or more for a one room and up. From certain areas in Jax, rent can be around $700 for a one-bed and a 30 minute drive to work everyday.

The other cheap alternative is Palm Coast, a half-hour south, but a lot of old people.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

And a lot of empty houses for rent. Might be able to work a bargain.

12. It's not as pricey as people are saying. It just depends on what you're looking for.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/633369632.html

That's not so expensive, is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted