1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SSI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, Sep 19, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I just started the process of trying to get services/benefits for a family member. It's my first experience with such an undertaking so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to successfully traverse the bureaucracy to get help. Any help (dos, don'ts, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'll take a PM. Anything.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First, it's a royal pain in the ass.

Secondly, expect that the SSI workers will fuck up things.

Thirdly, make sure you allocate plenty of time whenever you have to deal with SSI, either in person or over the phone. Expect to wait multiple hours of sitting in the waiting room, or an hour of being on hold, only to talk to the person for two minutes and then mysteriously get hung up upon, only to call them back and wait on hold for another hour.

Fourthly, while there's so many requirements, read up on the eligibility requirements, and the appeals processes, and know them to the letter, because you don't want to get into a situation where they claim they overpaid you, even though you were following their instructions.

Fifthly, if you have to mail anything, make copies beforehand, and mail it out certified return receipt requested, because they will inevitably claim that they never received your paperwork.

Sixthly, make sure you have all your paperwork in order, which makes things go smoother for the worker and less stressful for yourself.

Seventhly, keep track of the assets and resources. I think for an individual now, you can have up to $2,000 in the bank, plus a house and a car. At $2,001, they consider you overpaid. If the person is on SSI, and they think they overpaid you, they'll reduce the monthly check down. If the person isn't on SSI, they'll demand you pay out of your pocket.

Eightly, look up in your state for Medicaid waiver services. This isn't like regular Medicaid for the poor, which are based on income and assets. This is for those who have specific disabilities, regardless of income and assets. It depends on the state, though. Not to get political, but a blue state is more generous with waiver services than a red state, so it may either be easy to get into, or near-impossible, or may take years.
    The waiver services helps with paying medical bills (think of it like supplemental insurance with paying for deductibles and co-pays your regular insurance doesn't pay), as well as provides other services to help the individual live a better life.

Ninthly, keep track of all contacts you make with SSI, including the name of the person, the date, and the conversation. This helps when they claim you never contacted them.

Tenthly, make sure you inform them of any changes, which includes change of phone number or address, or job situation, or income.

And one to grow on: Just remember throughout the process that this is your taxpayer dollars at work. Then take your blood-pressure meds.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Vombatus and Fly like this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thank you, Baron. Sorry for being a dick all those times. :)

5. KeyboardKing

KeyboardKing New Member

You also might have to lawyer up. From what I've looked up in the past, lawyers receive a cut of any back-payments that may be due. Check into what you'd have to pay out of pocket and what would come out of the benefits.

6. Baron Scicluna

Related to this, also look up to see whether your state has Legal Aid services, which provides help for SSI or Medicaid for free or reduced-fee legal help.

Hermes, Fly and QYFW like this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Really appreciate it, Baron. Which is what I said in a PM before I realized you have me blocked. :)

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

That's strange, because I haven't blocked anyone. I looked on the People to Ignore page just in case and there's nobody listed.

Either way, you're welcome, and good luck.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's what DW said to me a while back. I don't buy it! :)

Really, though, your posts are great. Will be printing them out.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Expect to lawyer up. About 70 percent of all claims are denied on the initial application. And something like 80 percent of all appeals are denied, even though a large chunk of those (50 percent) are approved later. So do NOT take no for an answer unless it comes from a judge. My mom had extensive documentation from doctors, and it took literally years and a lawyer and two appeals. She wasn't approved until a judge was involved, which happens with a LOT of cases.

Also, odds are this won't be a short process. Plan on it taking two years. The first decision will be three to four months; and the appeal will be about that long too. I can't remember if there's a second appeal or if you go to a judge at that point, but once you reach the judge stage, it can take a year to get on the docket. Once the claim is approved, your relative will be paid back to the initial filing date, so there will be a big check, but the lawyer will take a chunk of it.

Good luck.

11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

The most important thing when filing for SSI disability benefits is to have written down all dates and details of doctor visits, medicines prescribed, hospital visits, tests and diagnosis prior to the initial appointment. Secondly the details of bank accounts, stocks and other assets, ditto for income streams. You can make an appointment and file by phone, you will be called at the appointed time and will not be hung up on. There is almost never a need to ever go into an office. SSI is administered by the Social Security Administration, the most efficient and customer service oriented government agency.

The initial claim is usually adjudicated in two or three months but if denied you can expect a long wait to have an appeal adjudicated. The waiting time varies by geographic location.

Public Data Files - Average Wait Time Until Hearing Held Report

More information can be had at www.SSA.gov

QYFW likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Also, to be clear, there's two versions of Social Security. There's SSI, and SSDI. They have some different rules, in terms of eligibility, and income/assets.

Draft saved Draft deleted