1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Squeaky wheel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

The baseball coach, who also happens to be the AD of our local CC, recently complained to me because we weren't giving them enough coverage. They have only played once at home -- twice, actually; it was a twin bill. It was on a Sunday, and it came the same weekend that two of our preps basketball teams were in the state playoffs (so, clearly our plate was quite full) and covering them really was not an option without scheduling overtime (for which my writers are not paid, but that's a separate issue). The coach talked to me on Monday, and really seemed to be on the verge of tears, because we didn't have an article in the paper saying that they were playing their first home game (we did a team preview in February along with a feature on their new assistant coach. He seemed unsatisfied with my answers and took his complaint to management, who now has me bending over backwards to accommodate the team. I have no problem covering this team. Even though they are abysmal, they do have a handful of local athletes on their team. But in my mind, the CC team is secondary to our preps (as upset as the coach was, I would hate to get the phone calls the day after we cover the CC team over two local high school teams). I don't, however, mind covering their games if nothing else is going on. The bottom line is we are now giving this team more coverage than it probably deserves because management hates the idea that anyone in the community might be upset with us.
    More than anything, I needed to vent, but I am curious if anyone else has similar stories.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Are you in Roswell?

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Let me get this straight...
    A coach is upset for a perceived lack of coverage?
    Never, in my 17 years, have I heard of such a thing. I've forwarded this thread to AJR, CJR and Poynter.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

In our own little ways, absolutely.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

It wasn't that he was upset that bothered me. I'm used to that. What got to me was the reaction from the higher-ups.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I just hope you don't use "twin bill" in your copy.

Anyway, look, you're not going to satisfy everyone... you did the right thing kept your focus on the preps. It sounds like that is the go-to sport in your area. You'll get to the coach and his community college baseball, they'll get adequate cover the sport deserves (as evident by the 50 "fans" at each game). Let him bitch, give some bullshit reply and move on.

7. It sounds like he did that, but was overruled by his spineless bosses. I think that's why he's slightly vexed.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Funny Martinsville came to mind for me.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In most places, it's 13th-14th grade. I'm sure the team really packs 'em in.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tell the whiny little bastard there's no crying in baseball!

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tell 'em to fuck off.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"The bottom line is we are now giving this team more coverage than it probably deserves because management hates the idea that anyone in the community might be upset with us."

In my experience, the writer/editor is always wrong when it comes to outside opinion and management. At least that's how it is at my joint.

Draft saved Draft deleted