1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier: Take that damned flag down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

alright guys, humor a fucking yank.

the civil war was about much, much more than slavery, much more. why can the flag not stand for heritage and not the respression of blacks?

by no means am i picking a fight. i'm just asking shit that's coming to mind.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because that heritage includes the South's succession from the United States?

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It can stand for anything you want it to. But more than anything, it's an unnecessary symbol of hate, in my opinion. The bad outweighs any good.

I am a Southerner, too, and damn proud to be one. But we don't need that flag for pride. It's not that damn important.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you're from the South and want to celebrate your Civil War heritage, then use the battle flag. The confederate flag is a symbol of the repression of blacks. The Klan has made sure of that.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you both are from the south?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, again from a yank, i never knew there was a battle flag.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, I'm from Chicago. But I minored in history. And I studied the Civil War more than anything.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit, i knew that

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm just tryin' to get a grasp guys. i grew up as far away from the south as it gets.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yes. Proudly. East Tennessee.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, is it obvious in the south that the flag stands for the repression of blacks and pretty much nothing else?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It also stands for treason, if you want to look at it another way.

Draft saved Draft deleted