1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier: Take that damned flag down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Apr 15, 2007.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The Confederate flag shouldn't fly at the Statehouse, South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier said Saturday after the Gamecocks' spring game.
    Spurrier's comments came in response to questions about something he said Friday night when he received an award from a volunteer organization. According to people at that event, Spurrier said the flag should come down.
    ``My opinion is we don't need the Confederate flag at our Capitol,'' Spurrier said Saturday. ``I don't really know anybody that wants it there, but I guess there are a lot of South Carolinians that do want it there.''
    City Year board chairman Kerry Abel said Spurrier's remarks at his group's awards banquet Friday night caught everyone by surprise.
    On a video of the banquet, Spurrier is heard saying the South Carolina-Tennessee game last year, which was featured on ESPN's ``GameDay,'' was marred ``by some clown ... waving that dang, damn Confederate flag behind the TV set. And it was embarrassing to me and I know embarrassing to our state.
    ``I realize I'm not supposed to get in the political arena as a football coach, but if anybody were ever to ask me about that damn Confederate flag, I would say we need to get rid of it. I've been told not to talk about that. But if anyone were ever to ask me about it, I certainly wish we could rid of it.''
    Jenna Micklash, who attended the event, said the coach's comments came as he accepted a citizenship award from the group, which encourages young people to take on community improvement projects.
    Micklash said Spurrier prefaced his remarks by saying the event wasn't supposed to be political and said that he doesn't usually get a chance to talk to as diverse a crowd as was at the awards ceremony.
    ``I think everybody got kind of excited about'' bringing down the flag, Micklash said later Friday. ``It was one of the coolest moments I've seen.''
    Spurrier's predecessor, Lou Holtz, joined Clemson's football coach Tommy Bowden and both schools' head basketball coaches in calling for the flag to be removed from the Capitol dome in 2000, when the NAACP started a boycott of the state.
    The flag was removed from the dome in 2000, but placed at the Confederate Soldier Monument on Statehouse grounds. The state chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People said that was not good enough and continued its boycott. The initial boycott drew wide support from inside and outside the state, but encouragement for the ongoing effort has waned in recent years.
    The NCAA has prohibited the state from holding predetermined championships such as the basketball regionals since 2001 because of the Confederate flag.
    Spurrier said Saturday that no one had asked him his opinion of the flag in the two season he has coached at South Carolina.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good for Spurrier, throwing his weight around on meaningful issue.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wonder how that view would play in his hometown of Johnson City, Tenn.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Better than in South Carolina, one of the most racist places on earth.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Good for the ball coach.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Have you ever been to eastern Tennessee? And I don't mean a UT game.

EDIT: There are counties there that are more than 99 percent white. And every third truck seemingly has a confederate flag in the rear windshield.

7. Hammer Pants

Born and raised. It's not rural South Carolina. Some might say apples and apples ... I wouldn't.

Plenty of racists in East Tennessee, an area which tried to stay with the Union in the Civil War, by the way. Plenty more in South Carolina.

Bottom line ... good for Spurrier.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Well it's an important issue. It's important that the flag comes down. Forever.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, I agree. It was great for him to say. And I hope it does some good. But a lot of people in the South have an almost sick obsession with that flag.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hammer, would you preface that? i've only been to SC once -- Charleston -- and want to know why you think SC is so racist.

11. Hammer Pants

Yes they do, and they claim it's their heritage like that makes it OK. Sickening. Whatever good value is brought from it can't compare to the negatives. It just can't.

12. Hammer Pants

Charleston is nothing like most of that state. Nothing.

And I'm not saying every person from there is racist. I have spent a lot of time in that state and, with the possible exception of Mississippi, I have never seen so many people proudly wave that damn flag.

Draft saved Draft deleted