1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier slams Columbia writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Spurrier was being a self-important dick. End of story.

2. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Roger that, Stitch.

3. JPsT

JPsT Member

Judging from my experience with college football, there's no way the fan site guys would leave.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I was in the post-game presser when Spurrier went off on Larry Guest -- called Guest a "sad, little fat man" twice -- and to this day it is one of the crazier things I have ever seen. Had YouTube been around back then, it would have blown up Gundy-style in a hurry.

Bianchi's take is dead-on, though Spurrier is far from alone in his thin-skinned attitude. A certain diminuitive ballcoach in Tuscaloosa crows that he never reads anything that is written about his club -- but manages to get all riled up when he catches wind of something (by osmosis, evidently) that doesn't jibe with his rhetoric.

rb

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

Considering that most coaches would only be happy if columnists gave them virtual fellatio every week (such as the aforementioned Dooley), I think Bianchi's take is pretty spot on.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would argue that if a columnist isn't getting under the skin of the local coaches, he's not doing his job very well.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was Guest there when Spurrier made the comment? I could very well be wrong, but the version of the story I heard was that Guest was not there at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted