1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier slams Columbia writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why is this guy Morris hated? Is he a professional rip artist?

2. Not to get all Wilbon about this (paraphrasing Kornheiser: When did you become such a tough guy, the last person you were in a fight with was when your brother Don bit you when you were 5!), but if someone says something like this to me under these circumstances, we're rolling on the ground at that point.

3. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Nice message, when the issue is First Amendment rights, etc.
    But it has nothing to do with the issue here. The issue is accuracy.

4. RalphWaldoHenderson

RalphWaldoHenderson New Member

Spurrier would like you to think it's about accuracy. In fact, it only started with the "poaching" comment - which was a throwaway line - back in the spring. Why now? Because in the past few weeks Morris had also written some things, some opinions, that Spurrier didn't like.

If Spurrier was so high-and-mighty about accuracy, he would have pulled this at one of the dozens of other opportunities since then and not waited till, oh, the same day Stephen Garcia was finally kicked off the team.

Accuracy, my ass.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Raiders, my friend, it was a play on DD's post. Nothing done in seriousness.

6. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Also, this ^^^.

If you're going to make a career out of baiting people, you and the rest of the world can expect some bad karma to come your way at some point.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seems like it has more to do with opinion.

This kid was on the basketball team, now he's on the football team.

Spurrier may not think he "poached" him, but maybe the basketball coach does.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

For the most part, in my humble opinion, yes. He's written a ton of negative columns about South Carolina athletics. Yes, he writes about other subjects and 100 percent of his copy is not negative, but you'd be hard-pressed to find many sports columnists who are as negative as him. More than anything, he stirs the pot. The best comparison I have for him is Paul Finebaum in Alabama. A lot of his columns are -- again, my opinion -- over the top. This actually reminds me a little bit of the Jay Mariotti-Ozzie Guillen spat when the majority of Chicago sports fans sided with GUILLEN because they simply hated Mariotti.

Again, I like Ron. I've always gotten along with Ron, and I think he's a good guy. When I see he's written a column about South Carolina, I assume it's going to be negative. That's what he does, and he's free to do as he pleases.

But while many will disagree with this, I think Spurrier was smart. He takes the attention away from Garcia, away from the young QB, away from his team's potential collapse down the road and makes it Spurrier vs. the Columnist.

Edited because I'm an idiot.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Steve Spurrier liking to bait people?

10. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Oops, I did miss that. :eek: Sorry, IJAG!

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Did Harry ever have words with Dooley?

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

IJAG offered to hide me in her secret attic, but Jason Whitlock told the Brown Shirts where I was hiding in exchange for an autographed picture of Tech-9 and a dog-earned copy of Royko's "I May Be Wrong, But I Doubt It."

Draft saved Draft deleted