1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier slams Columbia writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Don't know if this is the right board, but South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier just slammed Ron Morris, writer at The State newspaper in Columbia, for writing an erroneous article about Bruce Ellington, who is the Gamecocks wildcat QB.

Spurrier decided to leave the press conference until Mr. Morris was kicked out.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=156320

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anything to deflect attention from the fact that Spurrier ruined his team's title chance by sticking with Stephen Garcia ...

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What was erroneous in the article? Was it factually incorrect or did Spurrier just not like it?

4. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Well, the article talked about how Spurrier "poached" Bruce Ellington from the basketball program.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I came looking for this thread. Whoa!

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

My first impression is I love the coach taking this on on its merits and not doing broad media avoidance instead. We'll see who turns out to be best on the facts but that is a ballsy and completely appropriate way to challenge something you think is unfair.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not entirely true, he didn't "leave" the press conference, he gave the TV guys one-on-ones in another room and then came back to talk to the writers (allegedly) sans the one he didn't care for. If he did end up talking to the other writers, I can't see where I'd have a problem. He does have the right to be pissed off and not talk to someone.

Edit: what Point said.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If you don't click on the link, make sure that when you type the IRL, you don't drop a letter. You'll go to a whole other site that way.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Spurrier is a legendary bully if a writer pisses him off. Part of his problem has been that so many of the people who have covered him have kissed his ass so much that he doesn't handle it well when someone writes something he doesn't like.

He probably won't stop at just walking out of the presser. He'll probably try to get the writer fired, and it won't be the first time he's done it or tried to do it.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't have a problem with him not answering a question from a writer he's mad at. That's his right.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

If the story the guy is writing is false, he should be reprimanded. If the story story is correct and Spurrier simply doesn't like it, he should be chastised.

Draft saved Draft deleted