1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier reported headed to Miami.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jimmy Olson, Nov 19, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Initial denial from Spurrier

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2668273

2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

"I am not a candidate," Spurrier told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel. "I took this job to do what the experts said couldn't be done, which was to win an SEC championship here. We've got a good recruiting class coming in, we think."

Seems unequivocal to me.
    Besides, I just can't picture Spurrier at Miami. He left Florida because 10-1 wasn't good enough to satisfy the boosters any more. Why would it be any different at Miami?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I will tell you this: My head might explode if this ever comes to fruition.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Spurrier denies being a candidate.
    But if the job has already been offered, and he's accepted, he's no longer a candidate.
    So his quote could be accurate, just not completely forthright.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Seems like a match made in heaven. So efficient to consolidate so much public hate on a single target.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I am shocked to see the name "Spurrier" and the words "not completely forthright" in the same post. :eek:

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

This story is nonsense. Absolute, 100 percent unadulterated horse dung. Miami would like him to be a candidate I'm sure, but he is not a candidate (or coach-in-waiting, for those who like to parse things closely). I don't know what the hell Curtis was talking about here, but this will not happen.

8. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Posted minutes ago.

9. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

This may not be without legs. Afterall, the Reggie Bush housing idea was shot down initially simply because it was first reported on YahooSports.

Keep in mind that Spurrier's buyout is mere chumpchange: $250,000/year and he's got 5 years left. That could get swallowed up by an extra Quarter Mil added to any new contract.

The denial may simply be due to the Cocks being bowl eligable and due to the facts that they still have Clemson left on the schedule and the fact that Coker hasn't been fired. So the Ball Coach literally has no choice. Doesn't mean there's anything to it, of course.

I'm not absolving the "denial" stage just yet. It still doesn't make the story any less weird.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

First off, the Reggie Bush thing was taken seriously immediately because of the people who were reporting it. They're quality reporters regardless of what medium they write for. Had it been first reported on Bruins Nation, perhaps that argument would make sense. Secondly, this story has no legs. Not because it was reported on the internet, but because I know for a fact it's crap.

11. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

I love it when ESPN has its guys denying other ESPN guys' reports in the same story. Fabulously entertaining.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That most certainly was NOT: "I'm not going anywhere. Period."

Draft saved Draft deleted