1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier - College is for Football, not Academics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The other thing that so many don't factor in is professional training.
    If you do have NFL ability, you're getting there after it's been hammered and honed by college football coaches. There is a tremendous dollar value there. How much was it worth to Peyton Manning to play at Tennessee under David Cutcliffe?

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

So, you're suggesting Spurrier threw his admissions office -- ergo, his president -- under the bus because he made a bad decision on a couple of scholies? That's like making a drunken pass at your wife's best frend and trying to make up for it by doing her Boots-style.

More like 65 there. Hardly the impossibility you portray.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

First, $60K a year for any college kid is great. And unless you pay every student-athlete in the country the same amount for services (including cheerleaders, debate, band, etc.), paying athletes will only result in lawsuits. And if you do go that route, how many opportunities for student-athletes would disappear because the money would dry up? I would guess more than you might think.

Second, you make it sound like they don't already receive monthly stipends. SI.com just released poll results, asking college football players from 119 different schools questions. Among the topics was pay for play ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/08/06/survey.intro/1.html

... Also, that survey touched on hours athletes put into their sport -- 15.1 percent said they spent 50 or more hours on it. Other percentages included 0-19 hours (4.2 percent), 20-29 hours (14.3 percent), 30-39 hours (35.3 percent) and 40-49 hours (31.1 percent). Seems like your 60-hour estimate might be a tad high.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/08/07/survey.results/1.html

4. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

That's true, but I never saw him riding around in it until he knew he was going to go to declare for the draft, so why would his dad have waited so long to get that for him? Interesting timing is all I'm saying.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Then the colleges should get out of the business of sports and concentrate on education. And ESPN/NBC/USA Today and all the other entities that make money off the college sports industry should start their own leagues.

I wonder what the starting salary would be for a high school kid whose only marketable skill is sitting on the bench as the 3rd deep on the depth chart OL? Clearly your starting quarterback is more marketable, and thus would have a higher salary, than the 2nd string TE.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

An oldie but a goodie, which no Spurrier thread should be without:
    What's the difference between Steve Spurrier and God? God doesn't think he's Steve Spurrier.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I didn't have a car til I was a junior in college. Lot of other people on here probably didn't either.

Of course my first car was a Dodge Omni not a pimped out Hummer.

8. boots

boots New Member

I've waited a while before posting this. Spurrier loves to bully those he can bully. I believe he's finding out the good people at South Carolina aren't going to bend over and let him have free reign.
    Don't look for him to be there too much longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted