1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sprinter reignites debate over correlation between race, speed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Carl Crawford.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We can all name the Gardners and Podsedniks and Urlachers and, before them, Brady Andersons of the sports world who are lightning-fast white guys. But the exceptions do not prove the rule. Over an enormous sampling size of athletes, it is not inaccurate to say that black athletes absolutely dominate the speed positions, particularly cornerback and running back in the NFL.

Check out the list of all-time stolen base leaders. You have to go all the way down to Brett Butler at 24th to find a white guy whose career began after World War I.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No love for Tim Dwight or Wes Welker I see.

4. Dick Whitman

Again: Exceptions.

The fact that people can come on here and toss out the names of a handful of blazer white guys doesn't prove anything. It reminds me of the other thread where someone used Mike Williams' two All-Star selections as proof that All-Star selections aren't a good Hall of Fame criteria. You have to operate with a large sample size to get a good picture of anything, and the large sample size in this case clearly tells an almost irrefutable story.

Also, as far as Welker goes, notice that I didn't say wide receiver.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure who you're arguing to, Dick, has anyone here actually denied it?

Despite how that article labels it, I don't believe this is really much of a "debatable" question anymore. Everybody knows it's generally true, it's just something we avoid directly saying, and instead we pretend it's debatable, because it touches on such sensitive areas. And most of us didn't need to look at the NFL or "sample sizes", I figured it out when I started competing against African Americans and going to camps as a kid. I'm sure the same applies to others here. Just how it is.

6. Dick Whitman

Well, people keep naming fast white guys. I understood that as an attempt to indicate that there isn't a racial component to speed.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is about speed and race...

but I have an 8-year-old. He's in great shape, very athletic, hardly any fat to drag him down.

My little guy also can't stay within 3 steps of the African-American kids his age in basketball. The only aspects that keep me encouraging him at basketball are that a) he loves it and b) he has been medically projected to be in the 6'6'-6'9" range.

Otherwise, in the spring, he plays baseball. Why? He's a lefty and loves to pitch.

In life, go where your strengths are and try to avoid your weaknesses - unless you HAVE to overcome them, then tackle weaknesses head on.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Bengie Molina.

Oh sure. You think you could leg out a triple to complete the cycle? Afterburner Bengie did. ;)

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Blue font, Double J?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, the wink should tell you how serious I am about his speed.

That said, he did actually leg out a triple to complete a cycle a little more than a week ago. Something I don't think too many people currently working for ESPN have ever done. :)

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Was Brady Anderson ever that fast?

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not as fast as Bob Dernier, for you early 80's types.

Draft saved Draft deleted