1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sprint Cup driver - failed drug test?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2009.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I dunno about the rest of you, but it makes sense to me that it was Mayfield. The fella's just had a lot of trouble these past few years. Nice guy, but he has a ferocious bad side.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

PEDs don't necessarily mean steroids that make you look like Mark McGwire. After all, competitors in chess tournaments have been banned for testing positive for PEDs in the past.

3. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I think there's probably a PED for every athlete.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Seriously? You learn something new every day, I guess.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After posting that, I went looking for the link. I misremembered it. A grandmaster was booted from a competition for refusing to take the drug test, not because he tested positive.

Sorry.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mayfield blames the failed test on Claritin D.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4154666

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Claritin-D is a combination of loaratidine, a non sedating anti-histmaine and pseudoephedrine, asn adrenalin related substance. The pseudophed is a defacto upper and I'm always amazed at the number of people I see in the ER who present with complications from its use. Palpitations, shortness of breath, insomnia, high blood pressure. Do people ever read teh package before consuming these drugs?

On a related note, performance enhancing drugs does not equate to steroids. For example, in shooting sports, beta blockers (medications like inderal, atenolol or lopressor) are banned because they block adrenalin receptors in the body and can minimize the shakes from the pressure of competition. They are wonderful for those who have palpitations and stage fright before giving lectures and presentations.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Solid work by Jenna Fryer.<blockquote>CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—NASCAR proved how serious it is about its toughened new drug policy with a swift suspension of Jeremy Mayfield, the first driver to run afoul of the random testing program.

Now tell fans what Mayfield did.

NASCAR won’t reveal what banned drug Mayfield used, saying only that it wasn’t an alcohol-related offense. When pressed for more information, NASCAR officials would not budge.

“It’s not relevant to the public interest,” spokesman Ramsey Poston said. “What’s relevant is that this guy failed the test. It’s a zero tolerance test. That’s all that matters.”

Not really.

It is relevant to know if Mayfield was driving a car high on a recreational drug.

It is relevant to know what dangers the 42 other drivers were exposed to with Mayfield on the track.

It is relevant to Mayfield, who blames the positive test from Richmond International Speedway on the combination of a prescribed medicine and an over the counter medicine.

As long as NASCAR won’t say what he did, no explanation can ever be fully believed, especially as Dr. David Black, the CEO of Aegis Sciences Corp., which runs NASCAR’s testing program, dismissed Mayfield’s explanation.

So what exactly did Mayfield do?</blockquote>http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-inthepits&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mr. Poston: Thy logic is faulty. Rethink.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not relevant to the public interest? That's just condescending crap.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Richmond International Raceway, BTW. But Jenna nailed it, as usual.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Jenna hits a home run here...

Stories like this and the work challenging NASCAR make me think Poole would have been on the same page.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

From NASCAR? Never!

Have another Bud or three, and shut up.

;D

Draft saved Draft deleted